70 Newport Rear springs

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I am swapping out my rear springs for new ones myself. Speaking with Springs N Things vendor to secure new pieces (I think some here might have used them?). I am having problems getting the correct/proper parts as SNT says the brackets holding the springs are not "scalloped". Whaaa? Anybody else with Chrysler fuselage car run into this? SNT says this is particular to the Chrysler bodies as apposed to the Dodge/Plymouth fuselage models of the same year. Mistaken thought that small detail would be the same between Dodge Chrysler Plymouth. IMG_5655.jpgIMG_5657.jpgIMG_5658.jpgIMG_5659.jpgIMG_5660.jpgIMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

There are different brackets and springs, convertable, coupe, hard top, etc. I noticed the difference when I was under my parts car this weekend. Here is a shot of the parts catalog, maybe help to make sense of the setup.

image.jpg

I'm not sure what Scalloped part you're looking at.

What I can tell you is Springs and Things Is always learning but they do listen and Laura is pretty sharp.
They do not sell shackles for our cars. They thought they did until I showed them they didn't three months ago. Do yourself a favor, get new U bolts and WD40 All your threaded parts before you intend to start disassembly.
If you want your Newport to have a nice rake order the 1" over stock height springs. They will start off tall but will settle in nicely. I also recommend 7 leaf springs if your car doesn't have them .

Is the "scalloped" piece right where the isolator is? Unless yours is broken or damaged you will not need to replace any of that, you'll even use the same isolator.

The convertible doesn't have the isolator....and has a different size center pin

Is the "scalloped" piece right where the isolator is? Unless yours is broken or damaged you will not need to replace any of that, you'll even use the same isolator.

The convertible doesn't have the isolator....and has a different size center pin

Yes, apparently part of that torsion quiet system.

I believe PST, and energy suspensions offers poly insulators if wanted. Cost the same as new rubber insulators.

Part numbers:

This is what the vert ones look like:

James
Wow! THANKS James, lots of info. Thought this little task was going be easy compared to everything else I've done (just lots of elbow grease and sweat equity). Now I hunting parts that I would've figured were pretty common.

I'm not sure what Scalloped part you're looking at.

What I can tell you is Springs and Things Is always learning but they do listen and Laura is pretty sharp.
They do not sell shackles for our cars. They thought they did until I showed them they didn't three months ago. Do yourself a favor, get new U bolts and WD40 All your threaded parts before you intend to start disassembly.
If you want your Newport to have a nice rake order the 1" over stock height springs. They will start off tall but will settle in nicely. I also recommend 7 leaf springs if your car doesn't have them .

Me neither. I've never seen what they are describing (scalloped bracket).

Do you know who does make the correct shackles? Laura is very nice , spent a bunch of time talking with her last week about this. She thought they has my springs, but this little issue apparently changes all that. They are saying this scalloped bracket doohiky came out on full size mopars (C bodies) in 1972. I have no idea what the hell that is, never seen a "scalloped" bracket holding the springs in place.
Yea I like that slightly rake'd look. All the 440 cars got the extra spring from what I'm told. NADA on the 383 cars though. I was going to go with the 7 leafs anyway until running into this little snafu.

Me neither. I've never seen what they are describing (scalloped bracket).

Do you know who does make the correct shackles? Laura is very nice , spent a bunch of time talking with her last week about this. She thought they has my springs, but this little issue apparently changes all that. They are saying this scalloped bracket doohiky came out on full size mopars (C bodies) in 1972. I have no idea what the hell that is, never seen a "scalloped" bracket holding the springs in place.
Yea I like that slightly rake'd look. All the 440 cars got the extra spring from what I'm told. NADA on the 383 cars though. I was going to go with the 7 leafs anyway until running into this little snafu.

Why don't you just have yours re-arced, and see if they could add an extra leaf?

I just ordered some springs from them for my 70 300 vert. She told me the main difference was the size of the center bolt.

The original springs on mine were re-arched with another leaf added. The car sits too high and the springs look a little too rough to screw with. They also screwed up the rear shackles. It looks like they must have torched the nuts off, then realized they had to fix what was there. They drilled holes and put bolts through the spring eyes and frame. Didn't change out any of the bushings either.

I have a good set of used ones.

Looking at FirmFeel's website I noticed that their spring eye bushings are wavy or scalloped.
I also found Isolators from various vendors that have wavy or scalloped sides. this would not be clearly visible until they were removed.

One of you have a stand alone picture of this scalloped part you are talking about?

Gary, your springs and brackets look like what is under my 71...

And to my research there is no reproduction shackles for our cars, unless I missed something . Laura was also surprised to see the shackles that we have. She has been selling people straight shackles without the offset and no one has said anything. My bolts snapped and I had to source used.

193519 2015 shackle.jpg

193519 2015 shackle.jpg

I just ordered some springs from them for my 70 300 vert. She told me the main difference was the size of the center bolt.

The original springs on mine were re-arched with another leaf added. The car sits too high and the springs look a little too rough to screw with. They also screwed up the rear shackles. It looks like they must have torched the nuts off, then realized they had to fix what was there. They drilled holes and put bolts through the spring eyes and frame. Didn't change out any of the bushings either.

I have a good set of used ones.

They had no idea there was a difference in center bolt size until I ordered the set for my white car 13 years ago

Just wondering if you could use 1/2 of the 2" offset shackles that Mopar offers?

Gary, your springs and brackets look like what is under my 71...

And to my research there is no reproduction shackles for our cars, unless I missed something . Laura was also surprised to see the shackles that we have. She has been selling people straight shackles without the offset and no one has said anything. My bolts snapped and I had to source used.

View attachment 49993
Wow, THANKS Dave for the info. Thinking about using a torch to heat the metal up to avoid breaking/snapping bolts (if need be). I kinda thought my car would have the same type hardware yours does. In fact I mentioned this to Laura when I first started talking to them last week (similarities between the 70 c bodies Dodge Chrysler Plymouth). Did you ultimate purchase springs from them (SpringsNThings)?

I have replaced springs on 5 Polaras. The most recent being a few months ago on the #2 convertible. All 5 sets of springs were bought through Springs & Things. Their pricing is good, springs are made in the U.S. and shipping and response time is quick. What more could I ask for?

Back