70 Sport Fury rocker black out

70Tom

Reaction score
I swear I remember seeing a post on this, but my search is coming up with nothing. Just to clarify, the rocker to floor "pinch" from the front of the rear wheel well to the rear of the front wheel well was blacked out at the factory, correct?

He's a pic of the original 70 SF up for sale on the boards right now. I was stupid and didn't take any pictures before stripping mine.

0426171734a_HDR_zpscsxixpku.jpg

Yes the pinchweld is supposed to be black from factory, that picture you have posted is a good reference.

When they painted my car, they did the pinchweld and bottom of the rocker with flat black chip guard. I like it so well that I would do it on another car in a heartbeat.

I need to do that to my 69 Fury as it is still body color. Is there a good rattle can paint I can use to do this? If so the brand .type . and specific color black would be appreciated.

I need to do that to my 69 Fury as it is still body color. Is there a good rattle can paint I can use to do this? If so the brand .type . and specific color black would be appreciated.
I'd probably go to a paint store and get them to mix up a spray can of single stage with the correct code for 69. Make sure you scuff the clear coat good with a red scotchbrite pad before applying.

My NY has the factory black rockers too.
When I get around to repainting the rockers, I think I'll brush on two coats of por-15 before priming and painting. Then go over that with the chip guard black (thx Big John for that idea!).

All were "supposed" to be blacked out, but, like the core support, not all were. I found no evidence of black on the pinch weld of Jazabelle, (Front of core support also not blacked out), but The Admiral was in both areas.
I wonder if the pinch weld and core support was blacked out at the same time.

Years ago, I was able to get a tour through Windsor Assembly when they were doing first gen minivans. We happened to walk by an area where the vehicles were fairly high up in the air and one guy in particular caught my eye. He was responsible for the black paint on the pinch weld on the rocker panels. He had a label-less campbell soup can and a 1" brush. So it was dip, stroke, dip, stroke. From one end to the other. No masking, no spraying, no templates, no nothing. All of the other posters in this thread have all made valid suggestions, that just happen to be WAY more than what `the factory' did.

Back