'71 Fury III sedan, 43k miles survivor

Here's my fender tag, I'm pretty sure my car is nothing special, but if anyone feels like deciphering it, that would be very View attachment 93248 cool.

I do know it was built in Newark, DE.
It has the A94 gold Duster special package (no clue what it includes)
The "T" in the VON indicates it was a Chrysler lease car.

Carsten

The Fury has electronic ignition, new belts and valve cover gaskets. I drove it to Atlanta and back home, no problems and 16 mpg on the interstate. The best thing is my friend there got my tail lights working, the headlight switch wasn't connected right. He had to tear apart the whole instrument cluster and lower the steering column! Now I can drive at night, that is a huge improvement.

Sadly it's a day to remember, my Dad passed away at 80. A smarter and better Dad there never was. He's in a better place now.
View attachment 102836 View attachment 102837

Very sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. Life changes a lot when your dad isn't there anymore.

The Fury has electronic ignition, new belts and valve cover gaskets. I drove it to Atlanta and back home, no problems and 16 mpg on the interstate. The best thing is my friend there got my tail lights working, the headlight switch wasn't connected right. He had to tear apart the whole instrument cluster and lower the steering column! Now I can drive at night, that is a huge improvement.

Sadly it's a day to remember, my Dad passed away at 80. A smarter and better Dad there never was. He's in a better place now.
View attachment 102836 View attachment 102837

thanks for sharing your story.

003.JPG
002.JPG
Nice weather today....

Well finally the hesitation/surge/rough running or whatever you want to call it was traced to crud in the carburetor. So for the last couple months, the Fury has been running GREAT! That is, until a few days ago, it started the same behavior again. So it is back in the shop. Also I got a new heater control valve because the old one was leaking. It's a nice one made by Precision. I was going to replace it myself but it looks like the inner fender has to be unbolted to get to the firewall connections without risking messing them up. So that work is being done at the shop as well.

Update: The Fury has 51,000 miles now and it is running great. The a/c evaporator developed a leak last summer, not sure when that will be fixed. Just had the alternator replaced and the exhaust leak fixed, and everything else checked, driven it about 200 miles since. I am leaving Sunday morning on a 500 mile trip from Charleston to Sarasota. My Mom and other family have not seen the Fury yet. Will try to remember to take pictures.

Jumping on 301 saves time and adds flavor to the drive to Sarasota. If you ever take this stretch on a Thursday-Sunday, The Yearling Restaurant is a worthwhile stop. It is in Cross Creek, where the author who wrote the famous book lived. It closed down for a while...I am afraid someday it won't be there anymore. But I had a great time and the Fury ran so well, it wanted to go faster than I did. MPG ranged from 13 to 17. Not that I was trying to get good mileage, I just calculate it out of curiosity.

001.JPG

004.JPG

I know the place. Good honest food and beer! Very nice Plymouth!

The book is “The Yearling” I believe. Kind of a chick book. There is also a museum in the town at the author, Marjorie Rawlings, home.

Yep, The Yearling, written by a female and a lot of ladies do like it. What I like about it is many of the events in the book came from stories the people who lived there told her, and she was a yankee who had to earn their trust. The dialect they spoke in that remote area might have been lost if she hadn't written it down. It is a pretty powerful coming of age story of a boy who is an only child, set after the Civil War, whose mother is very standoffish, and his father works hard but can't provide much.

Mrs. Rawlings books and stories are of particular interest to Florida natives like myself. And she got the Pulitzer Prize for The Yearling.

Last edited:
Been a while since an update, just reached 57k miles, so far that's 15k since purchase. GM ignition system installed 6 months ago, it is ugly but the car runs strong and fires up instantly, I am optimistic it will be reliable. Had to evacuate while the hurricane passed, 1000+ miles to Sarasota and back, the only issue was when the interstate backed up on the way home, temp crept up but I shut it down till we got moving again. New fuel filler grommet last month, nice to have a full tank without leaking. I've let a couple youngsters I know drive it, and it feels good that people around here see a '71 Fury on the roads.

Yeah!!! Racking up the miles and enjoying it just the way it should be. GM ignition you say... HEI I am assuming

Yeah!!! Racking up the miles and enjoying it just the way it should be. GM ignition you say... HEI I am assuming
Yep I had another electronic setup in it that was fine for awhile. But it got so it wouldn't start when hot, seemed like a fuel issue, turned out to be the ignition.

Back