71 Imperial 4dr A/C (repair or replace?)

Great pics! Where did you source those items from?

Thanks,
CBODY67
Genuine Sanden SD7H15 compressor and fittings from Cold Hose. Compressor mounting bracket #4710 from Bouchillon. Compressor hardlines, condenser and thermo switch from Nostalgic A/C.

I agree, nice job! The timing of your post is perfect. I'm doing the conversion on my 68 Fury right now. Going the same direction you did with the hard lines off the compressor. Makes a much cleaner install with that compressor rear head. The only thing i'm finding is the air cleaner doesn't clear the discharge port. Not sure what i'm gonna do there. Does it work well for you?
I used the compressor hardline kit SD1610 from Nostalgic A/C. My air cleaner fits fine but I do have it mounted with an adapter on my Edelbrock carb which raises it up a bit.

Tried several places and they all can't get by the 1 minute kick-in for the blower so still looking, on hot days I just run 460 air for now. I was thinking a bit off the wall not to long ago and wondered what a shaker would look like on a 71 Imp., so I found a picture (on the web) and did some work on it. I kind of like the look but I'm old and not in my right mind LOL, I wonder what others think?

I threw my back out working on it so waiting for that to feel better before doing more stuff.

71 Imperial SHAKER HOOD.jpg

Don't believe you want to go there, with the Shaker. Might weaken the structure of the hood a bit too much for such a big sheet of metal, without sufficient additional supporting structure underneath . . . another something to deal with. Maybe a "GM Back" for the Sanden might put the lines in more of the original Chrysler orientation?

Well, I've been a bit out of it for the last few months (with covid and all) but doing good now (except for my back) and starting to work on car again. I did mount a 4 channel 8 track player before going downhill and that still works great. I still want to get the A/C going the folks that have the time say the blower motor is broke (I tell them to wait 60 secs or so but they don't listen as it blows fine) and the folks that have a clue have to many other projects, LOL, story of my life I guess, someday though. I'm looking to do a tune up this summer as I still have all my old shop tools & instruments but I'm forgetting some numbers and can't seem to find them online. The manual says Champion (R)J13Y but we always used Autolite plugs, I think they were Autolite 45s but just can't remember, any help? That and good points, I'm not sure but Accel seems to pop into my head, does that sound right. The gaps are .035 and .019 typically but it's the odd stuff I can't remember. I'm still checking the web though, sooner or later I'll find the info..... oh, just curious but can the steering knuckle (at base) be tightened a bit on the 71s?? I'll be looking at that and other stuff this weekend before I take it out for a few miles on a drive (if it don't rain).

(Note: the shaker hood look nice ((imo)) but ya, the bracing is a whole different story, I thought of that so that's either a dream or on the FAR back burner.)

@Retired_JC — good to read a new post from you, glad to hear things are fine. For the tune-up, I have the same engine in Médina, my 1971 Monaco. I’ve documented here the various components that I’ve used. Thousands of miles and two years later, I’m happy with my choices.

@CBODY67 @david hill @Davea Lux have all shared advice in other threads and might chime in too.

Your plug gap is correct at .035, dist. points spec is closer to .017 or 30 degrees dwell. As far as points and condenser manufactures US made Standard ignition parts seem to hold up very well. The same goes for dist. cap, rotor and spark plug wires. Stay away from any China crap made parts. There quality is pretty questionable. Your delay on your blower mtr. oper. is caused by a vac. delay switch under the dash. If you run into any problems PM me.

Back