71 Imperial - 8 Track Player (& Tapes ST & Q8)

Retired_JC

Reaction score
So I've been looking for an 8 track player for my car (it came as an option) and it looks like I found one. I'm an old "Quad Head" from the 70s (4 channel taped & records) so I wanted something different then what was offered. I'm just need a couple brackets then I have all I need to install. The deck is a Lear Jet A-255 Stereo & Discrete 4 Channel unit that works real good. I had hundreds of the Q8s but kept about 40 for myself and I also have hundreds of Quad albums/tapes on R-2-R I can transfer. I've been repairing 8 tracks for 40 or so years so no worries there either, so why am I posting this? If all goes as planned I'll post some pictures of it all when it's installed and working. I have a base that goes on the tunnel so it will look similar to the factory install, except it will be quad and pumping the sound through 4 hi-end Pioneer speakers and (again) if all goes right there will be no cutting or hurting the car. (except for the base, that needs to be bolted in.)

! Lear Q-2.jpg

Interesting coincidence.

I was packing up a 1975 Chrysler parts book to mail it out today and spotted the same 8 track unit in the accessory catalog. Looks like you could buy it directly from Chrysler, so it should be right at home in your Imperial.

IMG_8392.JPG

IMG_8393.JPG

IMG_8394.JPG

Jeff

Interesting coincidence.

I was packing up a 1975 Chrysler parts book to mail it out today and spotted the same 8 track unit in the accessory catalog. Looks like you could buy it directly from Chrysler, so it should be right at home in your Imperial.

View attachment 318809
View attachment 318810
View attachment 318811

Jeff

Very Cool... I got the deck on the base and set it up in the car to do a full test before the final install and everything works like a champ and sounds great, glad I saved a lot of the Q8s I had. I hope to do the permanent install this week with the base and hiding all the wires. I'm thinking of and EQ also but doubt they made quad EQ units for cars.

While I still have a couple minor things to do to make the install look cleaner, the 8 track is in place and working great along with the quad tapes. The 4 speakers (to me) lack a bit in bass frequencies but I'm thinking about either an Underseat sub or an Equalizer that would mount to the top of the player. I'll figure that out over the winter and then finish that and get the A/C working next spring along with a wrap for the base. That's the owners manual sticking out, I put that in the glove box since..

Note: the speakers are surface mount so no cutting was done inside, I used velcro strips and double sided tape to hold them secure in the back window (2) and under the front seat (2).

imperial quad.jpg

Last edited:
Followup: I picked up an retro EQ but one that is new enough to have Sub out jacks, I also settled on a Pioneer underseat slim sub so I'll be working on the install of those on warm days (whenever we get some).

Back