71 New Yorker, no heater fan suddenly

baging

Reaction score
Ok, i need some help here to guide me in the right direction....
Car is a 71 New Yorker A/C.
Suddenly my blower motor stopped working.... fuse is ok and AC activates as soon as i push any button except off. All vacuum is working...
Can't even see where the motor is located, so i would really need some help here :)

/Stefan

To get to the motor, you have to remove the tire and inner fender on the right side. Once that is out, it's fairly easy to get to.

Check to make sure you are getting power to and from the fan switch before you start taking the motor out.

If this is a manual A/C car, there is a fan delay switch mounted on the air box just behind the engine. These were known to stick and prevent the fan from starting. The switch is a round unit with some vacuum hoses on it and it is the only switch on the air box under the hood.

Dave

I thought the vacuum delay relay was for the a\c clutch not the fan

My experience is that Chrysler fans didn't last long before drawing increasingly more current and causing the wiring to overheat, usually focused at one connector under the steering column. In some cases the insulation on the wire melts as well as the connector, so many folks will redo that main wire to increase the gauge to allow more current flow, but the real culprit is the blower motor. I am not saying this is why your motor stopped working because it obviously is not, but you might want to replace the motor anyway with an aftermarket one made by Bosch or other supplier that as far as I know doesn't have this issue. But it isn't a fun job, but with perserverance, you can get through it.

Factory Service Manual will help you
Did you follow Big_John 's advice?
Quickest way to prove the entire blower circuit is to stick a needle tip test lamp into the blower lead after it enters into the engine compartment via the grommet. If your test lamp lights up here, then you must pull the inner fender as Big_John suggested for further troubleshooting. If the test lamp does not light- start looking at the circuits under the dash.
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 7.45.05 PM.jpg

Thank you guys!!
Found the problem after i finally located the fan motor....
Ground wire from blower motor had broke just by the ground connection at the wiper motor! Now everything works fine again :)
Interesting to read about the vacuum delay. Mine seems to work. AC shuts down after a while in HEAT or DEFROST as it should! :)

Back