71 or 72 b body rear end

flyinbrick68

Reaction score
alright guys whats it take to put a 72ish b body rear end in a c body? I might have one somewhat local to me. Is there an offset hanger kit or will i need to move the axle perch mounts to do this?

FIRST, check the rear track width of the B-body item you perceive you want to use. Not many B-body rear axles have the width to be under a C-body, unless it might be the '68 and prior C-body models.

Seems like the '71+ B-body wagons had a approx 63" rear track, but station wagons ONLY? Which allowed the wheel tubs to be wide enough to allow a 4x8" plywood panel to be put in the cargo/load floor area.

Spring saddle width will be different, too, even if the track width is similar.

What's the issue with your current C-body rear axle? Just curious.

CBODY67

Its an 8.25 if i finish my 451 it wont last long behind it plus its only a 2.71 and not a suregrip

Direct Connection printed a chassis book that gave you all the dimensions for all the different rear axles. You could probably find a copy on ebay.

Jeff

Direct Connection printed a chassis book that gave you all the dimensions for all the different rear axles. You could probably find a copy on ebay.

Jeff
What's the likely hood of a 72 new yorker with a 440 having an 8 3/4 rear? There's on there about an hour away from me that a guys selling cheap though its really rough....

What's the likely hood of a 72 new yorker with a 440 having an 8 3/4 rear? There's on there about an hour away from me that a guys selling cheap though its really rough....
It could be an 8 3/4 but more likely to be a 9 1/4 rear end, plenty strong for what you want.

I just had a thought, your car is a factory big block 72 fury isn't it? Could you take a pic of rear of the diff to show us? I cannot believe it has an 8 1/4 in it.

This got me thinking. Don't know where this site got the data but it is nicely laid out.
Mopar Rear Axle Dimensions – BigBlockMopar

Screenshot_20200713-172715_Chrome.jpg

I just had a thought, your car is a factory big block 72 fury isn't it? Could you take a pic of rear of the diff to show us? I cannot believe it has an 8 1/4 in it.
Its definitely an 8.25 and its a factory 400 gran fury

Back