72 New Yorker Axle Swap

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Alright, I told you guys there would be some changes to the wife's 72 NYB and one of them is to put some more rubber to the road.

I've fiddled and farted and taken some preliminary measurements and it looks like there's a few issues to deal with in getting any rubber under the rear. Has anybody here stuck an early B-body axle under their Fusie? Cuz that's what it's lookin like I gota do here to fit 275/60-15s on our primo 8.5" period corect gold center Cragar SS's.

The low lipped wheelwell's are already close to the 225/70's it's wearing, and the lousy 1.2" gained from a bolt in same year B-body axle won't do the trick. I'm gonna need 3.75+ to clear the sidewalls of the bigger tires and even think I might get them in and out of there. The early B offers 4.2". But while the extra clearance seems a blessing, I still don't think there's room between the lip and the springs anyhow.

So my thought is to move the springs inboard too while I'm at it. Seem's like I can just flip the shackles in for out and pick up an inch in the rear of each side. Then slot the inside front holes and drill new ones for the inside, an inch inboard. Rework the brace at the same time. As far as I can tell, that would be the only actual modification to the car. Everything else could remain easily restorable should the urge strike someday.

Any thoughts....?

OK, any constructive thoughts?

We already took advantage of a low turn-out at Norwalk last weekend and got some good deals. You should have seen her pouring over every table and tarp! We got a fresh 3.55 suregrip axle with new axle bearings, finned drums over new shoes, cyls, lines, just all new.. for less than an old greasy questionable unit. We also managed to get HP manifolds with close enough 72 date codes for under two thirds the going price. Honestly, the dated part was just Icing when he took the offer without even haggling.

I tried to trade some guns for the Super Coupe that was in the swap, just as another guy familiar to the seller showed up and they immediately went to hashing out which of his parts stash would be traded. 15 minutes earlier and I'd be wondering what I'd do with a third SC. Guess that turned out for the best too..... but we're not here to talk about that.

What about that axle swap?

Would it not be cheaper, and easier, to get rims with a custom off set? Seems to me that the rims you have right now have way too much negative off set, and is pushing the front side of the rim and tire too close to the quarter panel.

Sounds like a lot of extra work relocating springs, and going with diffs from other year cars to try and fit bigger rubber under the back. Do you REALLY need that much rubber out back?

Thanks for the honesty Stan.

The rims we have now are just standard 15x7s. There's no way I'm getting a wider rim and tire under there. I could use something like a fwd rim. But then I'd have to put big ole spacers on the front or get deep dish rims up front with none in back. Guess that would be fine if I talked her into buying some stock hubcaps. I don't see that happening.

Do we need 60 series rubber? Doesn't everybody?

It doesn't seem like that much work to me. I have to go thru the cars rear brakes and replace the brake hose for safety. The spring eyes need rebushed anyhow. I'm really thinking abkut firm feels quad shock plates too. So I drill two holes, mod a support, flip shackles and stick an already done axle back in on fresh mounting pads. Probly take an afternoon to see if it works as I think it will.

I guess the part that bothers me is that it's a 1972 New Yorker.
You can see where I'm coming from, right?

Yes sir. I have the utmost respect.for survivors and appreciation for restos.

We wanted something Better than a 40 year old New Yorker tho. Run 13 second quarters as quietly as possible. With the AC on and three kids. Not plow corners, or lock the brakes. Look like all we did was change the wheels unless you look underneath.

In short, a classic Chrysler with the capabilities of any modern V8 production car.

I would think with proper wheels that still have a RWD look, you could get 255 size rubber under there.

but if you want to move springs, do it and post lots of photos. A-body guys do it all the time and the aftermarket has many supporting parts to do so.

If your going to do that work to rearend ditch that rubber iso crap firm feel has a kit for it or its not a whole lot of fab to eliminate. Firm feel also has front and rear bars and T-bars. I expect to see that car handling like a SRT by Carlisle. Moparts tech section has a whole chart on rear axel widths.:poke:

Last edited:
Give me $150,000.00 and I'll git'er done.
And before Ross finishes even one of his cars... pokey pokey....

Give me $150,000.00 and I'll git'er done.
And before Ross finishes even one of his cars... pokey pokey....

I bet that if you slowed it down, only shot for half the fuel economy, and skipped the airbags and cupholders, you could do it for 10% of that....

wait that sounds like what, ah nevermind

wait that sounds like what

richard-rawlings-fast-and-loud-1.jpeg

I did pretty much what your thinking to my newport earlier this spring and i am now running 275/60s on 8 1/2 inch aluminum slots.
I had a 1969 fury donor though, and the 8 3/4 that i used out of it was over 3 inches narrower over all and the perches were 1 1/2 closer than the 8 1/4 i was replacing.
i also used the straight shackles and brackets from the fury to get rid of the offset angled shackles on my newport.
Worked great.

Back