727 Pan

67-Fury

Reaction score
Where can i get a good 727 fluid pan replacement? My stock one is a bit warped. I really don't want a deep sump pan. Stock depth will be fine. I just want a quality piece. Internet is littered with them but i don't know what's good and what's junk.

Where can i get a good 727 fluid pan replacement? My stock one is a bit warped. I really don't want a deep sump pan. Stock depth will be fine. I just want a quality piece. Internet is littered with them but i don't know what's good and what's junk.
Avoid after market replacements that are made overseas, most of them are junk. If I need a pan, I usually try to get a used OEM unit from a wrecking yard. Most of the time slight warping will not cause problems. A lot of leaks are caused by folks over tightening the pan bolts and dimpling the bolt holes to where there is enough deformation to where the gasket no longer fits tightly to the pan and the case casting. Most of the time this can be fixed with a block of wood against the pan rail and a ball peen hammer.

Dave

Avoid after market replacements that are made overseas, most of them are junk. If I need a pan, I usually try to get a used OEM unit from a wrecking yard. Most of the time slight warping will not cause problems. A lot of leaks are caused by folks over tightening the pan bolts and dimpling the bolt holes to where there is enough deformation to where the gasket no longer fits tightly to the pan and the case casting. Most of the time this can be fixed with a block of wood against the pan rail and a ball peen hammer.

Dave
Hmm i just mite try that then i got a Ball peen hammer and a Big anvil. My pan isn't to badly warped. I am all for fixing stuff. I don't want some repoped garbage and i certainly don't want to spend tons on a Fancy deep sump pan. I am Not making a race car.

Hmm i just mite try that then i got a Ball peen hammer and a Big anvil. My pan isn't to badly warped. I am all for fixing stuff. I don't want some repoped garbage and i certainly don't want to spend tons on a Fancy deep sump pan. I am Not making a race car.

1x4 on the bolt side of the pan, pall peen hammer on the dimples.

Dave

If you have trouble betting a good aim with a ball peen, a 5/8" brass drift against the dimple also works well.

Dave

Seems like Mopar PErf used to sell a 727 pan, but in chrome?

The over-tightening of the pan bolts can also cause the imprints in the pan to cut through the rubberized cork gasket material, which will cause LOTS of leaks, too.

Careful and snug, and not much more. Might put a thin coat of high-heat black silicone on the pan gasket, on ALL sides, to seal it against "wicking" of the fluid through it. Just a thin coat and no more. Let it cure overnight and install. The thin layer of sealer can also compensate for any small surface imperfections, too. Easier to take off, too! Not a necessary thing to do, just something that I have found to work very well on ANY engine gasket, over the years.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I'm a Devout Believer in THE REAL GASKET COMPANY FOR THEIR AIR CRAFT QUALITY SILICONE GASKET for the 727. THEIR IN TENNESSEE BTW. Oh yeah, torqued to 16 inch poundz and it goes on DRY. Same deal with their rocker cover gaskets for the RB engines, Jer

Stick with your OEM pan. Smooth out the rails as mentioned above and use a rubber coated steel gasket. They work great.

Buy a replacement 94-01 Ram, they're cheap and 1" deeper....

Screenshot_20200616_100401_com.android.chrome.jpg

I have an ATP pan and a Tennessee gasket that I was planning on using when I get around to do the fluid filter swap. I'll let you know how it goes.

I see some deeper pans you have to use a Filter spacer

You do not have to, although IMO they are a good idea. But you do definately need to account for the extra depth with extra fluid. Simple as following the factory dipstick marks, as per usual.

I have an ATP pan and a Tennessee gasket that I was planning on using when I get around to do the fluid filter swap. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks Jason, but you'd be preachin' to the quire. I've been singin' their praises ever since I found 'um in the mid '70s. BTW, Those gasketz are "RED" but it'z hard to see when they're installed and who really givez ah hoot anyway, THEY DON'T LEAK AND THEY SEND TORQUE SPECS WITH YOUR ORDER. Jer

Their gaskets solves my valve cover leak and oil pan leak already. The bottom end leaks oil from elsewhere, but it’s a start.

I have a Used Stock 727 Pan from a '66 Imperial. Price is 20.00 + Shipping.PM me if interested.

pm sent.....

Back