727 torqueflite transmission question

Reaction score
Hi everybody I recently found out that my transmission pan was leaking around the gasket on there is like paperthin so I’m switching to the Moroso gasket which is a little bit thicker and I want to know it’s a silly question but When you drain the transmission pan does it require you to pour a 8 quarts back in or less

If you are changing the pan gasket you should also change the filter if it hasn't already been done. You can also adjust the bands too. Check with your manual for the amount of fluid I'm not sure if they are the same for all years.

I would double chk ,that it is the pan gasket leaking, other spots can leak giving the appearance that it is the pan gasket.

Straight answer to the question... If you put 8 quarts in, you are very liable to overfill it and you do not want to do that.

Depending on if the convertor is drained, I'd put in 6 quarts, start it, shift through the hears and check with the car idling in neutral. Add what it needs, but only a pint at a time. Your goal is to hit the lower "add fluid" mark because it's cold. Drive and recheck.

But, as said, what appears to be a leaking gasket might be something else. I've seen many threads on here about "leaking gaskets" and the real leak is usually the shifter shaft seal. If it were me, I would change the seal anyway, because sooner or later, they all leak. Either find the tool (which may be difficult) or drop the valve body while you're there. Both methods are shown in this thread.

TF 727 "How To" shift lever seal replacement

1970 FSM also recs 6 quarts and that's with draining the torque converter as well as the pan.
727 Fluid & Filter Change.jpg

After cleaning everything up and underneath and running the car. I found the leak a tiny drip from the “SPEEDOMETER GEAR SUPPORT” it’s a dime drip that im assuming over time worked is way down to the pan. I don’t even use it but that’s where the drip is coming from appreciate all the help

With the 727A transmission the drain and refill is more like 10-11 quarts w/ convertor being drained.
Hi David,
I published the drain/refill directions from the 1970 FSM, which say 6 quarts as initial fill with trans already in service. See step 7 in FSM instructions from my previous post. Then follow steps 8 & 9 to top off as needed after warming up the car with engine running in neutral.

Below is the 1970 total dry (not in service) capacity spec for standard 727 trans: 19 pints=9.5 quarts.

Overfill damages transmissions.
Provided the OP has standard pan, I stand in agreement with @Big_John on 6 quarts max add with filter change on a transmission that is already in service.

Perhaps you are thinking of a deep pan aftermarket set up? Ben
727 capacity.jpg

Last edited:
Back