'73 disc conversion on Goldie

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I started my conversion last weekend and accumulated all my parts. The upper ball joints, which are only 4 years old, would not separate from the spindles so I just cut them off. I had smooth sailing after that.

I have the left side completed, right side is nearly finished too. Very satisfying day.
IMG_20170128_111058283.jpg
IMG_20170204_160854437.jpg
IMG_20170204_160715157.jpg

Where did you get the brake booster?
I got it from Murray Park, rather rare off a '67 and then had it rebuilt. Ended up being the most expensive part of the conversion. Wanted it to look period correct under the hood.

I got it from Murray Park, rather rare off a '67 and then had it rebuilt. Ended up being the most expensive part of the conversion. Wanted it to look period correct under the hood.
I see. Those dual boosters are getting rarer and rarer.

I must really thank Steven SF-66TC for the excellent write up and the list of parts. It surely is making the process easier.

Last edited:
One sight problem, I thought I would give the heads up to others. I have Rebestos calipers and duralast pads. When I was installing the calipers and pads they would not line up. I took them back off the car and took a closer look. The "ears" on the pads where too thick and would not side into place on the outside position, inside pads are fine.

I took a grinder to them and shaved about a 16th of an inch off both ends and now they fit perfect.

I don't know which is to blame but I am guessing the pad.

Lower half done. I had a couple of small issues that kept me from finishing last weekend, but finished this afternoon.
IMG_20170210_153232761.jpg
IMG_20170210_153349581.jpg

Productive afternoon. I installed the power booster and plumbed everything to the master cylinder, including the proportioning valve. Only one double flare performed without a flare nut in place. :)

Only thing left, bench bleed the master and then bleed the lines

IMG_20170211_152538710.jpg
IMG_20170211_152549440.jpg
IMG_20170211_152558248.jpg

Bravo Mike! I bet you can't wait to take her for a spin.:thumbsup:

Yes and there is salt all over the roads. I have some other projects so this will keep me focused.

One sight problem, I thought I would give the heads up to others. I have Rebestos calipers and duralast pads. When I was installing the calipers and pads they would not line up. I took them back off the car and took a closer look. The "ears" on the pads where too thick and would not side into place on the outside position, inside pads are fine.

I took a grinder to them and shaved about a 16th of an inch off both ends and now they fit perfect.

I don't know which is to blame but I am guessing the pad.
I had to do the same with the raybestos pass on my 69.

Mystery solved. I have had problems in my conversion, and as usual human error is involved. In my case it occurred over 4 years ago. It never dawned on me that there was a front and rear portion on the new distribution block that I installed for the dual master from the original single.

I was never happy with the old brakes now I know why, because the disc brakes and dual booster amplified my problem. In the incorrect previous set up I could never get the brakes to bleed correctly. This go around I could not get any fluid to the front right caliper. Once I switched the input lines the front lines bleed as they should.

I am back to square one on bleeding the lines. I am certain that I have solved my problem, but ran out of time this evening to re-bleed all the lines.

Mystery solved. I have had problems in my conversion, and as usual human error is involved. In my case it occurred over 4 years ago. It never dawned on me that there was a front and rear portion on the new distribution block that I installed for the dual master from the original single.

I was never happy with the old brakes now I know why, because the disc brakes and dual booster amplified my problem. In the incorrect previous set up I could never get the brakes to bleed correctly. This go around I could not get any fluid to the front right caliper. Once I switched the input lines the front lines bleed as they should.

I am back to square one on bleeding the lines. I am certain that I have solved my problem, but ran out of time this evening to re-bleed all the lines.

Mike: Thanks a lot for posting these pictures. I'm about to embark on the same disc brake conversion journey. I hope to be just as anal as you have been. . . :poke:

Mike: Thanks a lot for posting these pictures. I'm about to embark on the same disc brake conversion journey. I hope to be just as anal as you have been. . . :poke:
Good luck it was pretty straight forward and had to deal with a few things unplanned. The distribution block is what has given me the biggest headache until that issue was discovered.

PM if you have any issues, I probably ran into it myself. :)

Back