73 Fury lap belt....

Deke

Reaction score
I figured that the only way to get to the lap belt retractor was to remove both sill plates and slide up the trim piece on the stub of the B pillar where the belt comes through and covers the mechanism. Managed to get the two outer screws out of front plate, but the middle one won't budge. Don't want to strip the screw head trying to force it. Maybe the rustproofing material "cemented" it in place.

What can I use to loosen it so I can get it out? Rear plate came off fine, so I managed to use some Nevr-Dull to polish it and get a lot of the dirt, scuffs and stains out.

Once I get the piece off, I hope there's just something jammed in there that I can clean it and get it working again. There was a rubber band on the belt when I got the car, but it disintegrated, and I think pieces of it fell inside..... It did work for a few rides, but now is fully extended. I know I may have to remove the part and have it rebuilt, but I gotta get to it first.

Thanks for any assistance or hints.

try putting the screwdriver in and giving it a few whacks on the end with a hammer. put as much downward pressure on it as you can while turning it. it's not uncommon for these to break off.

Back