73 Fury Radio Conversion

theos911

Reaction score
I picked up my Fury in November and found that the radio was dead. The AM radios are pretty expensive and the FMs are ridiculous. I've heard of using newer radios and I'm ok with the idea if it gets me a working system. I'm looking mainly to get FM, but cassette would be handy too.

So, being a mopar noob I ask the experts -> What would you recommend that would fit and require the least amount of rewiring and modification? Anything I should know about the switching process?

t2ec16hhjgye9nookpmkbqp.jpg
kgrhqvhjeqfcdwnuohobqp7.jpg

t2ec16hhjgye9nookpmkbqp.jpg

kgrhqvhjeqfcdwnuohobqp7.jpg

Welcome to the board, VERY NICE CAR! I love it......

It all depends on your tastes, I am happy with am/fm cd. Others may want I pod hook up. Photoed is of a 71 polara I used to own. The dashes are similar and share the same curvature. I had a Kenwood am/fm cd player with a amp under the rear seat and a couple of 6x9's in the rear package shelf and some small speakers under the dash of the old 4x10 dash speaker. I ran speaker wire and pulled power from the fuse box.....simple.

DSCF0223.jpg

DSCF0223.jpg

118263 2009 front seat.jpg

Welcome, Theo.
Are you looking for a radio with vintage styling or is a modern aftermarket radio what you were thinking of?
Oh. And did you cassette?

< Sent from my tablet >

Last edited:
I'm mainly looking to get AM/FM, but Cassette would be handy - both for Cassette to iPod/Doohickey and the huge number of Cassettes we have lying around.

Vintage styling would be awesome, but is less a factor than price.

An original am/fm should be easy to find for a hundeed or two.

You could take your am radio and have the cnversion done which would includ am/fm and external extensions for a cd player or I pod

The bottom looks to be the only one with the curved face plate, which is correct.

:welcome:............ Nice car.

There are different inexpensive ways to get music in your car. My 65 has a modern am/fm, CD, Kenwood radio with a USB port to plug in music devices,mounted out of sight in the glove box. It was just over $100.00 on ebay, new in the box and free shipping. Easy installation and the dash is uncut and stock looking with the original dummy radio.

My 69 300 has the original am radio with a USB convertor to connect to an ipod. I've got almost 3000 songs that I have selected on it. The convertor is $139.00 and you need a working radio for it to operate. Again...easy to install with no modifications to your dash.

Of the two I prefer the modern radio. Its stereo and a little more powerful.

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/index.html

I'm going to have to decide what I want to do with the NY'er. Ii has the am/fm/cb factory radio, it's a non-power antenna and the mast is broken and mast fell off, I don't have a power antenna switch either. FM kind of works... The tuning dial hangs up. I want to be able to plug in my ipod. I have to upgrade the speakers too.

Updated sound systems

Heres a pic of the Kenwood radio mounted in the glove compartment on my 65 Dodge. I bought a reproduction glove box liner and mounted the radio to it. It's compact enough to still retain most of the use of the glovebox. The USB cable is routed next to the console where I plug in the Ipod.

There were speakers cut into the door panels when I got the car. Thank goodness the lower section of the panel is carpet lined, It still cost $130.00 tho repair them. It's a convertible and has no package tray or provision for a rear speaker so I constructed a pair of plywood boxes, lined with styrofoam and mounted 5" 3 way speakers in them. Then covered them with automotive carpet. Speaker wires are routed behind the kick panels and under the carpet and passenger seat to an RCA connector. I used 12' of speaker wire on each speaker box which plug into the RCA connectors under the seat.
I can place the speaker boxes anywhere in the car while driving or on the rear boot when at cruise ins or anyplace we stop at.

Sounds great too.

radio in dash (Large).jpg

speaker (Large).jpg

THere is nothing uglier than an aftermarket radio in a classic car. It is just plain wrong.
Can anybody tell me HowTF to operate this thing?

x13080PRS-o.jpeg

I want five presets in the middle. a round On/Off/Volume knob on the left and a round station selector knob on the right. PERIOD!!

This is OH SO wrong, wrong, wrong...

35kpp8g.jpg

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me HowTF to operate this thing?
First figure out how to turn it on...... Then set the volumn about mid way...... Then figure out how to set it to "AUX"...... Plug your ipod in the hole on the far right......then FORGETABOUTIT.....

Anything else....... Good luck.

x13080PRS-o.jpeg

I want five presets in the middle. an On/Off/Volume round knob on the left and a round station selector knobon the right. PERIOD!![/QUOTE]

[First figure out how to turn it on...... Then set the volumn about mid way...... Then figure out how to set it to "AUX"...... Plug your ipod in the hole on the far right......then FORGETABOUTIT..... Anything else....... Good luck.
I didn't get that far. I keep thinking you push the telephone icon but I said WTF that don't make no sense.
I couldn't get past that point.
KNOB -------- FIVE PRESETS ---------- KNOB

TELEPHONE button. REALLY?

1969ChevelleCamaroNova.jpg

Back