'73 Fury upgrade - asking for suggestions and help

HemiFury1973

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 1973 Fury Gran Sedan 400/727 and i am about to buy a 1973 Fury Gran Coupe 360/727.

Both are 2bbl.

Now, i have some thougths of upgrading both, in order to get some more power.

I don't know where to start and this is the reason i need your help.

Also i would like to make the engine compartment look good.

I will appreciate your professional and experience-based recommendations as for parts and configurations.

Thank you for your help.

Hemi (Yes, this is my name)
IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

Wow, your Plymouth already looks fantastic!

As far as the 400 is concerned, my suggestion would be the Edlebrock AVS (I would not go more than 650 cfm)/performer aluminum intake manifold/magnum grind camshaft combo...that will wake up your 400 quite nicely. IF you want more than that there are a few other mods you can do, but that may mean taking off the heads, don't know if your into all that. Also, beware your going to need to source a big block 4bbl carburetor linkage or fabricate it yourself since the stock 2bbl throttle linkage will not work with the new 4bbl carburetor. Your Fury already has the electronic ignition system so that's a good plus. Oh, also if you swap the camshaft you might want to replace the stock timing chain with a new double roller piece to keep everything nice and tight...I also replaced the timing chain sprockets as well on my car....if I recall correctly they are manufactured by "Cloyes Gears"....http://www.cloyes.com/

You can use the same basic recipe for the 360 too, although you'll need to use small block cam and intake manifold for that engine. Good thing about the small block you might be able to keep the throttle linkage on that one, but I'm guessing since I haven't had a small block car in a long time. Maybe someone else on this board who knows more can confirm or deny that.

The BEST way to clean the engine compartment is to do it with the motor out, I don't know if that's an option, If not your gonna have to do it the hard way..clean and shine around stuff. It'll take longer but its doable.

So there ya go. Again, that's a really nice Plymouth, is there story behind how you got it?

Upgrades......

As far as the 400 is concerned, my suggestion would be the Edlebrock AVS (I would not go more than 650 cfm)/performer aluminum intake manifold/magnum grind camshaft combo...that will wake up your 400 quite nicely. IF you want more than that there are a few other mods you can do, but that may mean taking off the heads, don't know if your into all that. Also, beware your going to need to source a big block 4bbl carburetor linkage or fabricate it yourself since the stock 2bbl throttle linkage will not work with the new 4bbl carburetor. Your Fury already has the electronic ignition system so that's a good plus. Oh, also if you swap the camshaft you might want to replace the stock timing chain with a new double roller piece to keep everything nice and tight...I also replaced the timing chain sprockets as well on my car....if I recall correctly they are manufactured by "Cloyes Gears"....http://www.cloyes.com/

The BEST way to clean the engine compartment is to do it with the motor out, I don't know if that's an option, If not your gonna have to do it the hard way..clean and shine around stuff. It'll take longer but its doable.

Welcome.... Beautiful Plymouth, congradulations...!

Good advise by 70fuselageimperial, I would also add a dual exhaust system. I replaced the carb on my 69 440 with an Edelbrock and it really woke the engine up. Accl linkage for the four bbl should be easy enough to find. Someone here may have one on a parts car. Really all you need is the cable.

Underhood detail....? I'm in process of doing that on my 69 now. It's a labor of love... just be patient. I stripped everything out except the engine, (even the wheel tubs), then power washed, sand/bead blasted and otherwise stripped and refinished everything. I got the Dupont paint # and bought a quart of base body color for the firewall and core support then applied a clear coat.... Looks great so far.

69 engine before (Large).jpg

69 engine detail progress (Large).jpg

69 engine detail progress 2 (Large).jpg

Good advise by 70fuselageimperial, I would also add a dual exhaust system. I replaced the carb on my 69 440 with an Edelbrock and it really woke the engine up. Accl linkage for the four bbl should be easy enough to find. Someone here may have one on a parts car. Really all you need is the cable.

Underhood detail....? I'm in process of doing that on my 69 now. It's a labor of love... just be patient. I stripped everything out except the engine, (even the wheel tubs), then power washed, sand/bead blasted and otherwise stripped and refinished everything. I got the Dupont paint # and bought a quart of base body color for the firewall and core support then applied a clear coat.... Looks great so far.

Nice! Great example of what I meant. I'm sure HemiFury1973 is gonna love this.

Great work! Very nice!!!

:sSig_goodjob:

Great work! Very nice!!!

:sSig_goodjob:

Guys, thank you so much for yourcongratulations and answers that make me start to understand what i go for.
As for carburetor and intake manifolds - i know many mopar fans choose Holley carb, is it easier to adjust? and which camshaft should i take?
Bluefury, very nice, i love your work!

Hemi

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Really nice car and all the way in Isreal! I would say that would have to be an unusual sight there, correct?

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Really nice car and all the way in Isreal! I would say that would have to be an unusual sight there, correct?

Thank you so much.

The '73 furys were common here in the seventies but not much. 2 door versions were bought for Israeli Defense Force handicaps soldiers.
I spent my childhood years with my late father's one - 4 soor Gran Sedan loaded.
When i grew up i looked for it and realized it was scrapped so i tried to find another one.
Then i imported to Israel one 73 fury special but it was not loaded so i found the current brougham package one full loaded in Ebay and bought it.
It was originally triple black and i repainted it 2 years ago. Now it is time to upgrade it mechanically :)

Regards,

Hemi

So there ya go. Again, that's a really nice Plymouth, is there story behind how you got it?

Thank you so much.

The '73 furys were common here in the seventies but not much. 2 door versions were bought for Israeli Defense Force handicaps soldiers.
I spent my childhood years with my late father's one - 4 soor Gran Sedan loaded.
When i grew up i looked for it and realized it was scrapped so i tried to find another one.
Then i imported to Israel one 73 fury special but it was not loaded so i found the current brougham package one full loaded in Ebay and bought it.
It was originally triple black and i repainted it 2 years ago. Now it is time to upgrade it mechanically :)

Regards,

Hemi

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

So which carb is recommended from those and which cam should i take? :)

Are you looking for a highway cruising car, or more of an all around street car that will not see many highway miles?

What is your differential gear ratio in the car with the 400?

..............and with the 360?

The ratio will be on a tag mounted with one of the bolts, either on the front with a cast removable center housing (8.75") or on a rear stamped cover (8.25").

Also let me know which differential is in each car.

Let me know, and I will give you some suggestions.

The 400 with the stock 8.2 to 1 compression will not be a great prospect for a very aggressive cam.

The 360 will be more tolerant with 8.8 to 1 compression.

Last edited:
Are you looking for a highway cruising car, or more of an all around street car that will not see many highway miles?

What is your differential gear ratio in the car with the 400?

..............and with the 360?

The ratio will be on a tag mounted with one of the bolts, either on the front with a cast removable center housing (8.75") or on a rear stamped cover (8.25").

Also let me know which differential is in each car.

Let me know, and I will give you some suggestions.

The 400 with the stock 8.2 to 1 compression will not be a great prospect for a very aggressive cam.

The 360 will be more tolerant with 8.8 to 1 compression.

Thanks!

I look for a highway cruising car but i want to get a good throttle response.
The differential ratio in the 400 is 2.71 (is it 8.25"?).

Thanks,

Hemi

If the diff has a rear cover and 10 bolts it's a 8.25. If the diff has a rear cover and 12 bolts it's a 9.25. If the diff has no rear cover (center section bolts in the front side) it's a 8.75.

If the diff has a rear cover and 10 bolts it's a 8.25. If the diff has a rear cover and 12 bolts it's a 9.25. If the diff has no rear cover (center section bolts in the front side) it's a 8.75.

I checked and the diff is 8.25...

So, what should i choose?

carb: Holley 570 or 670?

Intake manifold: Weiand 8008 or Edelbrock performer?

Thanks,

Hemi

Those gears will work nicely for highway cruising.

Personally I would use a Thunder series AVS Edelbrock (Carter) 650 on your 400 and either intake manifold would be fine.

I would make these changes first and later if you want to change the cam, I could give you some suggestions, but roughly I would try to stay around 215-220 degrees of duration @ .050" valve lift with your lower compression and highway gears.

Last edited:
Those gears will work nicely for highway cruising.

Personally I would use a Thunder series AVS Edelbrock (Carter) 650 on your 400 and either intake manifold would be fine.

I would make these changes first and later if you want to change the cam, I could give you some suggestions, but roughly I would try to stay around 215-220 degrees of duration @ .050" valve lift with your lower compression and highway gears.

I can tell you that the Eddie manifold makes it real easy to use the factory accelerator and kickdown linkage, mounting the coil, and mounting the A/C compressor support brackets if it has A/C. Not sure about a Weiand manifold being compatible with the factory linkage, coil and the A/C brackets. Coil can be mounted anywhere but the Eddie manifold allows coil to be mounted in factory location.

So, at last I bought a 670 street avenger holley carb along with weiand action plus intake manifold and a new mopar performance ignition kit and new plugs. Now it's time to put all them on :)

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Pictures are even better.

Back