73 Imperial aka "Rusty"

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked up the 73 four door hardtop in Illinois this past weekend. (It was true glide ride with monster stereo!) I thought that it would be a project car, but I am thinking that it toop much for me with four other builds going on. It has a string drivetrain, but its body is rusted badly. I may tear it down for its parts and then crush it. It is a rear air, sunroof car. Please look at some of the pictures.

20190324_124335 (2).jpg
20190324_122211.jpg
20190324_122221.jpg
20190324_122232.jpg
20190324_122235.jpg
20190324_122246.jpg
20190324_122251.jpg
20190324_122300.jpg
20190325_133004.jpg
20190324_122309.jpg

The rust on this car is pretty typical for a mid west car. Before deciding what to do with it, I suggest getting the car up on a rack and doing a frame inspection as rust belt cars often have a lot of rust on the frame rails and floor plan. If the underside of the car is badly rusted, you are probably looking at the car as a parts vehicle. From what I can see, the fender well rust and rear sill rust is repairable, a fair amount of work but it might be worth the effort if the underside is solid. The rust at the door corners is minor and the hood can either be patched of replaced with a new panel. The rust out on the passenger side rear window sill suggests that the wheelhouse might have failed and that let a lot of salt water into the top of the rear quarter and trunk area, so check that part of the car carefully. This is good luxury cruiser that needs work, you might also consider doing a bondo overlay the rusty areas, this was done at least once before, and using the car as a summertime driver to keep it out of further salt corrosion. Again only if the underside is still solid. 4 projects is too many to try at the same time, pick one and concentrate on that.

Dave

The rust on this car is pretty typical for a mid west car. Before deciding what to do with it, I suggest getting the car up on a rack and doing a frame inspection as rust belt cars often have a lot of rust on the frame rails and floor plan. If the underside of the car is badly rusted, you are probably looking at the car as a parts vehicle. From what I can see, the fender well rust and rear sill rust is repairable, a fair amount of work but it might be worth the effort if the underside is solid. The rust at the door corners is minor and the hood can either be patched of replaced with a new panel. The rust out on the passenger side rear window sill suggests that the wheelhouse might have failed and that let a lot of salt water into the top of the rear quarter and trunk area, so check that part of the car carefully. This is good luxury cruiser that needs work, you might also consider doing a bondo overlay the rusty areas, this was done at least once before, and using the car as a summertime driver to keep it out of further salt corrosion. Again only if the underside is still solid. 4 projects is too many to try at the same time, pick one and concentrate on that.

Dave
A few more pics. Will get underneath, but did not pull the trunk mat back to inspect, but I think it may still be fairly solid, sorry about the trunk picture, thought it was better than that.
20190325_131742.jpg
20190325_132850.jpg
20190325_132905.jpg

I would say a parts car.

Way too much rust to fix.

Zac would be interested in the sunroof parts.

@monaco75
Like Dave Lux, I suggest you put it to one side and concentrate on your other cars first, beginning with the car in best shape.

Yes, it's rusty, but has a rarely installed sunroof and also the dual air conditioning which "may" have been a rare option.

There is (in my mind anyway) too much propensity to write off a vehicle as being a "parts car" when it "may" be able to be brought back once a thorough investigation has been undertaken.

My point is that there weren't many imperials made in the first place, and automatically writing off seemingly every one as a "parts car" is a sure way of removing any possibility of cars like this returning to the road, let alone telling future members "there are none left as we condemned most as parts cars."

Should this truly be suitable only for parts so be it, just give her a chance first.

I'm also beginning to think that "we" should get the best deal possible and grab even extremely rusty cars to strip for anything useable- yes, some sellers are dreaming but since these cars were built in low numbers, it's (my opinion) better to trailer it away regardless- another one to save other vehicles, don't walk away until "all" these cars have completely rotted away to uselessness.

Last edited:
Like Dave Lux, I suggest you put it to one side and concentrate on your other cars first, beginning with the car in best shape.

Yes, it's rusty, but has a rarely installed sunroof and also the dual air conditioning which "may" have been a rare option.

There is (in my mind anyway) too much propensity to write off a vehicle as being a "parts car" when it "may" be able to be brought back once a thorough investigation has been undertaken.

My point is that there weren't many imperials made in the first place, and automatically writing off seemingly every one as a "parts car" is a sure way of removing any possibility of cars like this returning to the road, let alone telling future members "there are none left as we condemned most as parts cars."

Should this truly be suitable only for parts so be it, just give her a chance first.

I'm also beginning to think that "we" should get the best deal possible and grab even extremely rusty cars to strip for anything useable- yes, some sellers are dreaming but since these cars were built in low numbers, it's (my opinion) better to trailer it away regardless- another one to save other vehicles, don't walk away until "all" these cars have completely rotted away to uselessness.

one more photo, how did this get rusty?

20190324_124431.jpg
20190324_124434.jpg

Do you have a complete history on this one? Like how many owners and states it resided?

It's likely to just have been used in all weather's without any care.

Now, there are restorations and restorations, this "may" have been a bondo and repaint job, compared to what doc would do, namely a stripdown and investigation followed by a quality restoration.

At least she's been saved for now, well done.

Oh, one unique thing, the rim blow wheel works!

Home of the thumping stereo system the PO had.

20190325_131712.jpg

If you do decide to part it out, I might be interested in the hideaway headlight system...
I will keep you in mind. But, I have a 72 Fury III and a set of headlight covers off of a Gran Coupe, that I may pull the system and harness off this to put on my 72.

the guy I bought it from said it came from Florida after a restoration about 10 years ago or so

:bs_flag: Sorry but I had to raise it.... That PO is full of it. That's neither a Florida car nor a 10 year old restoration IMHO.

I'm glad you got it though, don't get me wrong. Probably would've been Derby Fodder otherwise:thumbsup:. Lots of good parts for sure!

The rust you are inquiring about near the hinge mount is from salt water intrusion to the back or underside side of the panels, probably from road spray that got around the fender well. Once salt finds its way to a hidden area, it will keep rusting every time it is gotten wet. Paint helps to protect the outer surface of fenders etc, but there is not much protection on the inside of the panels. This car was in a salt rich enviornment and does not appear to have been protected with undercoating or other rust proofing. I agree with the previous post, this car was not restored 10 years ago, it was bondo repaired and painted.

Dave

Docs new winter beater?

What crappy resto this would have had if this is the condition it's in ten years later.

Back