'73 Monaco wagon roof molding clips

Phil64

Reaction score
Hi all,
As you know i've a '73 Monaco SW. The car no longer has the woodgrain but I still have the roof moldings, not reinstalled. And that's the problem, there are still pins on the roof but what do the clips look like? The width of the molding is around 11 mm (7/16") but I don't really see what the fixing system is on the pins.
Thanks

IMG_20220429_172534 [fili1280].jpg

IMG_20220429_172540 [fili1280].jpg

IMG_20220429_172616 [fili1280].jpg

I no longer have one of those wagons but @MonacoBlue still has one and probably would be your best best in showing what the clips look like and may even be able to mention a source for them.

Hmm. Can you go back in to my restoration thread and point out the clips? I may have already posted on it. Not sure which clips you mean. I think I got mine from…Mr. G’s? In Texas.

Sorry, had to think. I think you mean the long aluminum trim.

Sorry again - I scrolled up in your thread. Yes those little pain in the neck clips! Mr. G’s has them.

The best I can tell you now, is go back to my post #836 “73 Monaco wagon”, June 28 2020.

Mr. G’s had those clips as I recall. Sorry I do not have a part number.

When you get them, put the clips on those pins on the body first. I believe they have a locking feature, so look carefully and determine how they need to be oriented so they lock on to the pin.

Align the clips (horizontally) so they are ready to accept the trim. This is not hard.

Gently slip one edge of the trim under the clip. Then push the aluminum trim upward toward the “unclipped” side of the clip so that you have enough clearance to get the “unclipped” trim side over the edge of the clip. There is enough clearance that you can do this. Be gentle when doing this because the aluminum trim is easily bent/ dented. It doesn’t require a lot of force. Just a bit of finesse/technique. You might want to have another (careful) person following your lead, helping you with this so you don’t have the aluminum trim waving around possibly damaging the cars finish.

I should add - as you do this you will need to make sure the piece that goes down the A-pillar is centered properly and can be easily attached there. As I recall it was easier to get the horizontal clips running the length of the body/roof attached first. You may find that to be true, or…you may find it easier to attach the trims at the A-pillar first! Patience and thought and gentleness. And a little help from an equally patient and trustworthy friend.

Last edited:
The best I can tell you now, is go back to my post #836 “73 Monaco wagon”, June 28 2020.

Mr. G’s had those clips as I recall. Sorry I do not have a part number.
Yes i've seen the message and that's what i need. What is the email or www site of M. G's ? I've found pizzeria, cafe, bowling, etc... but no seller of retainers, clips, etc..
{edit} I've found the site , Mr. G's Enterprises - Auto Fasteners and catalogs of retainers, but what is the model i need ?
@MonacoBlue can you send me (PM) a larger pic of the 836 message ?

Last edited:
Yes i've seen the message and that's what i need. What is the email or www site of M. G's ? I've found pizzeria, cafe, bowling, etc... but no seller of retainers, clips, etc..
{edit} I've found the site , Mr. G's Enterprises - Auto Fasteners and catalogs of retainers, but what is the model i need ?
Call Mr G’s

Yes it’s Mr. G’s Auto Fasteners. They are in Texas. They are helpful.

Phil does the part shown FA 316 look like what you need? When you removed the trim did the parts look like this?

From my experience, the plastic on these old cars gets brittle and breaks easily.

C3884470-4C34-439C-A9E8-398D360B70F7.jpeg

I had to buy two different clip types from Mr. G’s. One type was for roof trim and the other was for door trim. I can’t recall - for which application the FA 316 was used. I hope this helps you.

Thanks ! I never removed the mouldings, they were in the car when i bought it (and w/o clips ...). I've printed the page, they said "all fastener pics will print out actual size" and i'll verify, seems that the FA 316 is the right one.

I think FA 316 is what you need. I just hope Mr. G’s still has some in inventory.

I think the clips I needed for the door trim were larger and more rectangular.

Bon chance, Phil! Let me know how things work out.

@MonacoBlue i try to send you a private message but your inbox is full : "The following recipients have reached their maximum allowed inbox limit: MonacoBlue. "
As itsn't about the subject of clips i'll open a new topic.

@MonacoBlue i try to send you a private message but your inbox is full : "The following recipients have reached their maximum allowed inbox limit: MonacoBlue. "
As itsn't about the subject of clips i'll open a new topic.
Message me again. I cleaned out my inbox.

Back