73 Monaco wagon

Flat, matte, or gloss?

I use this on all argent stuff when I don't have immediate access to the correct argent.
20180825_223321.jpg
20180825_223424.jpg
20180825_223429.jpg

Ok. Something happened to paint in the late 20th century. EVERYTHING had to have metal flake. I miss ‘just plain old color’.

I’d like to take a stab at repainting (at some point) the hubcaps silver /black /red that I have, as well as the silver trim on the taillights.

I’ll see what Lowe’s has. I noticed the base that the RVM is suspended by is flat silver, right after I made my posting.

That cap is showing a strong reflection from the garage lights, it's not that bright, reflective or glossy but does have flake. I used this to paint my wheels and they came out well.
I would follow big John's advice here and find flat if you can.

Yeah I want something that will match the base. I am sure I’ll find something. Thanks for the tips.

The mirror isn’t wiggling around anymore, also, which is more important than aesthetics, at this point.

It’s little things like this that keep you going on making improvements. I am still cleaning dirt off the instrument panel and out of the A/C vents, but every time I get it cleaner, it’s more appealing to be in the car, more fun to drive, etc.

Got expansion valves this weekend for the A/C, one for front and one for back seat.

Does anyone have experience rebuilding an A/C compressor? I see NOS compressor pistons with rings and gaskets on eBay...it would be nice the keep the original unit with stamps and nameplates, in the vehicle.

Working the quick fix afternoon projects. Had a cash outlay for the other daily drivers of the household so the C-body budget suffers this month. Nonetheless progress can be made...a little paint stripping, wire brushing, and gloss black for the air cleaner cover...

73B52571-7376-4CAB-BAB6-28E90598AD61.jpeg

7A4C9955-4A29-4FC8-8249-F5C85E0D1B72.jpeg

View attachment 211825

89B2C36A-8868-47E1-8E0E-2B890421BD59.jpeg

I should have taken a pic before I primer painted it. I took it to silver steel.

3D6D95D9-1DD9-41D7-B9F8-B5CD1D1442E8.jpeg

9F6835CB-D473-4F29-887F-5206D011B415.jpeg

A1047E06-1C54-454B-8EA3-718B25CA058C.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking at getting the roof and hood painted. Figured I’d start by removing the rear air foil, since ‘mechanical’ labor cost is something I want to minimize.

In attempting to remove the roof mounted air foil, I had to remove the D-pillar inside plastic panels. The top 7 nuts in a row came out ok, since I’d previously removed the old headliner, but there were two more lower nuts that required me to remove those plastic panels. Once those panels were off, on the last air foil nut, drivers side, the socket fell off and tumbled 'mysteriously' somewhere down the D-pillar. Leaving me with one nut still left to remove and no socket to remove it. Ugh. "To Be Continued".... as the sunset and the weekend ended.

Sometimes you just have to 'let it go', and pick it up another day. Hope I don't need that socket anytime soon! And I hope I can find it...

Found a picture of your wagon that I downloaded from the internet a while ago
73-monaco-wagon-kee.jpg

Props to you for the effort it took to get it in your hands and the attention you've been giving it :thumbsup:

Props to you for the effort it took to get it in your hands and the attention you've been giving it :thumbsup:

Thanks Blimp. I guess I just like the idea of making something tossed aside as useless into something useful and enjoyable again. I would say most of the folks on here can relate to that.

One step at a time...

Back