74 Fury - Factory Spare

jason99

Reaction score
The Fury III I just bought had a spare and the jack still in the trunk. I'm trying to figure out if it's original and if it is, is that a thing I should keep around, something that people want, or if I should just replace it with a new tire so I have a good spare when I'm driving around?

Tire is marked
Kelly-Springfield
4 Ply Polyester Cord
Roadmark
H78-15 Load Range B

IMG_0935.jpg
IMG_0932.jpg

It's nostalgic but useless. Unless your car is a low mileage survivor that you hardly drive you should put a new one in there.

Safety first

You never want to drive on a spare tire that is more than 8 years old.

Look up the facts on NHTSA

There is also a link that will tell you how to read the code on your tire to tell you date of manufacturer.

Believe me....you don't want to have a blowout on an old spare tire on C-body.

I definitely wouldn’t drive on it, I just didn’t want to toss an item someone else would want for their car for restoration purposes.

Out of curiosity I went and looked for the DOT number, it is: DOT PJVX KBN 193

So I guess this would be a 1973 or 1983 tire, which means it predates me.

If it is original then there will be someone after it for display purposes in their mint restored or survivor car.

You really don't need a date code to tell that the tire is not the OEM spare. Just the alpha-numeric tire size (H78-15) is enough to know that it's well over 6 years old.

When new, that was a pretty good tire, by observation. Kelly was a subsidiary of Goodyear, so that's at least a decent indication of its quality. (That does NOT mean it has the same exact rubber and such in it that Goodyear used on their own-brand tires, though!) BUT that was then, when the tire was new.

You can keep it as a conversation piece and a general information guide for what tires the car used to have, but that's all, at this point in time.

With age, even if the tread is deep, the inner tire cords will "dry rot", unseen, and the tire will fail at some point in time. You might swerve to miss an animal in the road, or make an emergency stop, and that would be enough stress to make the tire come apart internally, lose air, and fail.

Get a used wheel, paint it nice, and put a new tire on it. Can even be "cheap, black (with whitewall), and round", if you desire. There should be a jack decal on the inner side of the deck lid to illustrate how the jack/spare tire are stored and the attachments to do so.

What are the other tires on the car?

CBODY67

It's not an OEM tire, K-S tires never were. That said, it's not a doomsday bomb either. If you ever had a flat and treated it like a service-saver (limited distance and speeds) you would surely be fine. Buy a used radial for $20 if it gives you piece of mind.

Looking at the picture of the rim, (wheel cover marks on the inside rim and the lugs), it's been on the car before. Agree with other comments, curiosity piece but don't try to use it.

Not even a curiosity IMO. Just old rubber.

Replacement for original Goodyear tire.

Good for a swing, boat dock bumper or to make sandals for an entire South American village.

Keep it in there and get AAA. Tire looks like new. I can't remember the last time I got a flat... just sayin'

I have original spare for my '70 300. It's all great, but I bought a cheap radial and put it on an old wheel for the spare that I carry. I figure that for the few bucks I spent, I have some piece of mind if I'm a couple hundred miles from home and I blow a tire. The original tire is in my basement, where it will probably stay until the car is passed to the next caretaker.

QXNIaHm.jpg

I do remember the last time I had a flat tire... Last March... LOL.... No fun.... I also remember having an old spare tire blow after replacing a flat tire. That was many years ago, before cell phones and it was even less fun as it stranded me on a very cold morning, hours before anything opened.

Considering my NYB had power steering you could steer with your pinky finger i can only imagine a blow out in a car as big as that.B.B

Back