74 Fury III 400 - Transmission Cooling Lines

jason99

Reaction score
I just acquired a 74 Fury III with a 400 and the passenger side trans cooling line is shot near the radiator end and 'patched' with some rubber hose and hose clamps. It leaks like a sieve and so far is the only mechanical problem I've found with the car. To that end I need to get it patched up.

I found an old thread that mentioned inlinetube.com, getdiscbrakes.com, and classictube.com as possible places that have pre bent sets. I saw no hits in their catalogs so I talked to each of them today and none of them have 74-78 c-body sets. Classic Tube did say if I mailed them mine they would reproduce.

If I'm going to try and make a set of these myself before I punt, is this all I will need?
37 degree flare tool
Pipe bender
Pipe cutoff tool
1/8in steel tube
whatever kind of nuts are on the tube (or I can reuse what I have I suppose)

Thanks,
Jason

Grab a 3 foot or so piece of 5/16 brake line at your local NAPA (or whatever) with premade flares. Cut one end off and take off the flare nut and replace it with the flare nut off the old line. That the radiator end. Cut the old line where it's bad, cut and bend the new line and use a 5/16 compression union to connect them and you're done.

Only tool that you will need is a pipe cutter and a couple wrenches. The bends can be made by hand. Hack saw will work, but you should have a pipe cutter in your tool box anyway.

These will be your friend,

ls50120_1.jpg

For really tight spaces,

p_1000131887.jpg

Every auto mechanic should have the whole enchilada!

TF528D.jpg

Thanks guys, I don't know why I didn't think of doing it that way.

C4BC38FC-D8DA-44B1-A92A-CB336D6D576E.jpeg
D7B02D45-521C-4183-903F-7146D2EF3441.jpeg
7B2EE66C-77BB-4581-9F3C-303C99F2BB56.jpeg
Finally had a chance to get this done yesterday night and got the car back on the road.

The splice is holding well for now.

Back