74 Fury - Steering Linkage Removal

Brakes, Suspension, Rims and Tires

1. jason99

jason99 Active Member FCBO Gold Member

Finally had some time to get the car situation and get ready to address the beat up oil pan I posted about earlier. Going through the FSM for the procedure to remove it, I need to remove the steering linkage. In order to that it indicates I need to remove both tie rod ends and do this with a special tool. Just by looking at it, it seems like if I just took the pin and bolts off of the inner tie rod end, the idler arm, and the stearing arm, I could remove the linkage and get to work.

1) Do I really need to remove the tie rod ends to do this?
    2) Is the special tool required?

I'm sure this is obvious to many/most of you, but as evidenced by being guided by reading the service manual, I'm learning these things as I go.

Related, once I have a little time to get my notes together and take a few more measurements and pictures, I'll have a post up about Quick Jack, which has come up a few times in the past in various shop threads.

-Jason

IMG_2488-0.jpg

IMG_2489-1.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

2. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

You do not really need to remove the tie rod ends. Disconnect the idler arm from the linkage and the linkage should drop enough to remove the pan. The job is a little easier if the linkage is removed completely, but you can still get the pan off without removing the linkage. If you decide to remove the tie rod ends, I would suggest not using a pickle fork as this tool usually damages the rubber boots on the tie rod ends. There is a tie rod end extractor that pushes the bolt for the tie rod end out of the linkage without damaging the boots.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

If you pull the pitman arm and idler arm, the center link should hang low enough with the wheels hanging to be able to clear the sump and push toward the cross member forward of the sump ( wheels pointed outward).
    If not you may have to pull the outer tie rods from ball joints.
    Remove the cotter pin and nut.
    You can smack each side of the female taper joint simultaneously with 2 hammers will usually shock the taper and pop the tie rod out.
    You will need a special pulled to pull pitman are from steering box.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 71NewYorkMan

71NewYorkMan Member

These are the pitman and tie rod pullers referenced in the above posts. You should be able to rent them from Oreilly or Autozone
    PA846B.jpg
    The tie rod (smaller) and pittman (bigger) are just two different size versions of the same tool.

5. jason99

jason99 Active Member FCBO Gold Member

Thank you all. Now that I look at it again, I do think the assembly will hang down far enough just by disconnecting the idler arm and steering arm. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to get after it in bits and pieces this week.

6. commando1

commando1 Mr. Normal FCBO Gold Member

There are areas I, personally, follow by the book.
    The front end has always been one of them.
    It does not take longer nor is it more expensive.