'74 Monaco Fender Removal

BDR529

Reaction score
I'm in the process of removing the fenders off a '74 Monaco for my 75. I broke a couple anchor nuts, but that's no big deal, I can get to them. My question is does anyone have any tips on removing the three screws on the bottom of the fender:
IMG_07781.jpg
I soaked them in WD-40 and had a phillips #3 tip attached to a ratchet. I couldn't get them to budge. I think a phillips #4 would work better but a #3 was all I had. I really don't want to strip anything out so I was just hoping for any suggestions anyone else might have with experience in these pesky screws!

IMG_07781.jpg

I had some trouble with a few screws on my car. You may need to try a screwdriver or nutdriver that accepts the bits and not one in a ratchet. Use a hammer and tap/hit the end of it while turning it by the handle. I did find that having the right sized end helps alot. I know they can be a pain!

I was just hoping for any suggestions anyone else might have with experience in these pesky screws!
Oh yes I have! Grrrr........
Do yourself a favor. Dont try to save them. It's not worth it.
They simply go into clip nuts and they are frozen solid. Get a sawzall up there and slice through them.
ANY hardware store that has a big fastener sectioner (you know, the ones with the gazillion pull drawers) carries these clips. They are not an oddball item.
And use hex head machine screws in place of the philips heads.
I can't recall exactly but I think they are 1/4 - 20

U-Clip-Nut.jpg

Back