76 Newport I found. What should I check?

Joseph James

Reaction score
I found a 76 that I like. My wife doesn’t but she won’t be driving it. Red with red interior. 440.

Any quirks with these I should look closely at?

I found a 76 that I like. My wife doesn’t but she won’t be driving it. Red with red interior. 440.

Any quirks with these I should look closely at?

The good news is that the 440 in '76 was not a lean burn so you will not be having to be dealing with that. Another major item with lots of problems was the ATC2 system, lots of issues with reliability. If it has ATC2, I would be inclined to walk unless it is a very pristine example of a '76 Newport. This car has a smog motor that had issues with poor performance and poor economy. The EGR valve, if so equipped also was prone to loading up with carbon and leaking. Other than that, these were pretty nice cars that were excellent road cruisers. Check the usual places for rust, these cars were prone to rusting out the rear window channel and they collected rust under the vinyl tops. Check the trunk floor, the lower quarter radii, the A pillars and the wheel houses for rust. Frame rails should also be checked. If the car has sat for an extended period of time it will probably have out of date tires and a braking system in need of a full rebuild. May also need to have the fuel system cleaned out and components replaced as needed.

Dave

Most Newport's had regular A/C, not Auto temp II. The rear quarters were real bad for rusting, as the side marker lights always leak. Other than that, they were great cars, I have a 1977 Newport now.

Run a hose over or pour a bucket of water down the cowl / windshield wiper area and see if the water makes it way into the cabin...... Ask me how I know!!!

Windshields are no longer available for these cars. Other items covered.

Back