77 NYB rear window and vinyl top trim removal

75LandYacht

Yank Tank
Reaction score
OK fellas, need some guidance. As a winter project I’m probably going to be pulling the windshield, rear Glass and vinyl top trim so I can repair any rust and get the top painted the new vinyl Top reinstalled. My question is, what are some tricks of the trade and tools necessary to remove this trim as delicately as possible? I’ve searched most of the threads and forums on trim removal and I’ve seen them for earlier your model cars than mine. If there’s not much difference in the trim clips and how they are removed, then I’ll just reference those threads. But if anyone has any specifics that may help me, I would appreciate it.

John

The retaining clips are the same as the older cars, just be very careful when you remove them. The clips hold down the vinyl, you will see this with the moldings removed. As for the glass, try to get it inside a very warm garage, heat helps make the glue softer, more easy to cut. I use a Stanley knife with very sharp blades. Just be careful as the glass is pure unobtainable.

I would caution taking the front or rear glass out. If you can do the repairs with the glass in would be your best bet to not breaking the glass. Just remember.....that glass is very, very hard to find. Almost unobtainable.

Good luck!

I suspect the car in question is your white '75 Coupe. I had a friend help me as I had some rust where the chrome molding goes around the bottom side below the rear quarter window. I have had the Sait Regis roof package on mine. If repairing the same area as mine, you will need to remove the rear sear and rear side panels as well as the headliner (from the
DSCN0070.JPG
back forward) to get access to the nuts. Also, you will find the rear quarter windows are functional with a window crank. If you don't have one use vice grips to roll the window down to get access to the nuts if the same as mine. Lastly, use the "Search" tab on the upper right of the home page. Type in "'78 New Yorker St Regis Coupe" and will see info on vinyl top rust repair etc.

Appreciate it guys, NO Glass removal!! just moldings for access for needed repairs.

And Pete! Sold the 75 in 2020, Its for the 77 Sunroof NYB.
IMG_0497.jpg

Last edited:
Were you successful in your winter project? If so I'd love to hear what you've learned as I'm planning to remove my trim as well. Right now the trim on the top of the door has me stumped.

Were you successful in your winter project? If so I'd love to hear what you've learned as I'm planning to remove my trim as well. Right now the trim on the top of the door has me stumped.
Thx for checking in. I haven’t tackled it yet, crappy NY weather and work got in the way.. So stay tuned I guess lol

In case you haven't done this yet, I recently have and thought I'd share some info. First and second pic are the trim clip on my '75 Imperial which I believe would be the same to your '77 NYB. Third pic is the tools I used. Don't know how you'd call it but I used the flexible putty spatula (?) to gently lift the trim and the tiny screwdriver to then pry loose the clip. Since they are fixed to the roof at one side there was just enough flex for that to work. Starting point that worked best for me was the corner of the trim at the rear of the roof, at the top of the c pillar. Only one this didn't work for was the last one at the front near the windshield, that was sort of wedged in the trim and I was afraid of breaking it so slid the trim off with it.

Front and rear glass trim were an absolute pig to get off and I bent a couple of pieces so can't be much help for you there as my way clearly wasn't the best.

20220806_171938.jpg

20220806_172004.jpg

20220806_172022.jpg

In case you haven't done this yet, I recently have and thought I'd share some info. First and second pic are the trim clip on my '75 Imperial which I believe would be the same to your '77 NYB. Third pic is the tools I used. Don't know how you'd call it but I used the flexible putty spatula (?) to gently lift the trim and the tiny screwdriver to then pry loose the clip. Since they are fixed to the roof at one side there was just enough flex for that to work. Starting point that worked best for me was the corner of the trim at the rear of the roof, at the top of the c pillar. Only one this didn't work for was the last one at the front near the windshield, that was sort of wedged in the trim and I was afraid of breaking it so slid the trim off with it.

Front and rear glass trim were an absolute pig to get off and I bent a couple of pieces so can't be much help for you there as my way clearly wasn't the best.

View attachment 549429

View attachment 549431

View attachment 549430
Great tips. Thank you.. we call it a puffy knife round here lol.. I’ve been in touch with a few shops That are willing to take on entire project, but as expected they are very pricey, so I have to choose my battles. We’re finally taking the car to Carlisle this year I’m concentrating on the underneath the car and the engine bay at the moment. I have all the materials needed to replace the top, the headliner and all the metal work, but again the shops are very pricey. So stay tuned

I’ve been in touch with a few shops That are willing to take on entire project, but as expected they are very pricey, so I have to choose my battles.
I hear that! It's the main reason I'm tackling this myself actually. Since I'm prepping for paint anyway and the vinyl seems to be out of stock I have decided however to get rid of the vinyl altogether and just paint the top as well. All black Imperial, it's gonna be great.

Back