78-79 360 swap

xxcarguy

Reaction score
Is swapping a 78-79 360 into my 318 Fury III pretty straight forward?
Would my original 904 fit and work?
Any ideas?

I believe the LA360 is an external balance motor, which would mean the torque converter would need some balance weights on it? I also suspect your 904 would need some new/beefier frictions in it, too. Are tbe motor mounts the same type? I suspect it would be an "easy" bolt-in, but not a complete "just drop it into place" bolt-in. Others have information, too?

Just some speculations,
CBODY67

Is swapping a 78-79 360 into my 318 Fury III pretty straight forward?
Would my original 904 fit and work?
Any ideas?

Transmission will bolt up. Easiest way to compensate for the 360 external balancing issue is to buy the B & M flex plate which is designed for that purpose. If this is a pleasure cruiser, you can probably get by with the rest of the 904 as is. The exhaust hook ups are also different and you will need the 360 exhaust manifolds as the 318 ones are different. 318 carb is also smaller, so try to find and engine of similar vintage with the carb installed. Passenger side motor mount for the 360 may also be different than the one on a 318.. If the engine is out of something other than a C-Body passenger car of the same vintage, the sump location on the pan may also be different.

Dave

Last edited:
What year of Fury? 69 and earlier you have to address the cast iron water pump, pulleys, and brackets being different.

Thanks for the help with decisions on the car.
I was looking for more torque for the hills.
The 318 just doesn’t have the umph.
I can drive and enjoy and not have it in the garage not put back together!
Happy New Year!

Try doing a manual part-throttle downshift into "2" for the hills, rather than relying on the "downshift only at WOT" orientation of the trans. Same for getting up to highway speed, too. With a little practice, it all becomes second nature of sorts. I did this with our '66 Newport 383 2bbl and it worked great. More acceleration, less throttle, everything's happier.

Happy New Year!
CBODY67

For anyone that has a 1970 or earlier Torqueflight, the A&A Part Throttle Kickdown Kit is what you need. That way you don't have to touch your lever. It makes driving your car much more enjoyable. One of the best modifications you can make! I think they cost around 100.00.
Try doing a manual part-throttle downshift into "2" for the hills, rather than relying on the "downshift only at WOT" orientation of the trans. Same for getting up to highway speed, too. With a little practice, it all becomes second nature of sorts. I did this with our '66 Newport 383 2bbl and it worked great. More acceleration, less throttle, everything's happier.

Happy New Year!
CBODY67

If you want to keep all of your front end accessary drive intact-cast iron water pump, pulleys, all brackets, radiator, you need to pull the harmonic balancer and the front timing cover on the 360. Then install the 318 timing cover or another extra 69 and before cover, remark the 360 balancer to the early marks-so you can set the timing. The Damper Doctor will rebuild the 360 balancer and set to the early marks. Oh wait-you need a early 360 balancer with the offset wedge of metal on the center hub for that to work. Somewhere around 76-77 Chrysler started using a 360 balancer with metal removed from the outer ring, in that case you just need to remark yours or put a timing tape on it set to the early marks. Beware-the 68 and earlier cover didn't have the timing mark tab cast into it, the used a bolt on timing tab-the bottom 2 bolts on the water pump.

Back