78 New Yorker that cleaned up nicely.

imperialman

Reaction score
What started out as a hand wash turned into a full blown clay bar, polish ,and carnauba wax detail to my NYBs 98% original paint. Four and a 1/2 hours of work now has the Spanish Gold Metallic color really popping in the sunlight. These pictures really don't do the color justice
DSCN2120.JPG
DSCN2117.JPG
DSCN2119.JPG
DSCN2122.JPG

The car looks great! Always did like that color combination.

Some of the Chrysler gold metallics just never seemed to fade as other metallic colors did. I know you'll smile when you look out over that shiny hood, past the proud hood ornament, to the outside world! Proud of AND remembering the work it took to make it that way.

CBODY67

I think it's the best paint color for 1978. I love the way the green metallic comes out on the Spanish Gold.

What polish and wax did you use ?
I was never that lucky with single stage met. paint, at least on the flat surfaces, especially the Hoods.

What polish and wax did you use ?
I was never that lucky with single stage met. paint, at least on the flat surfaces, especially the Hoods.
I have a random orbital from Griots Garage ,plus I purchased some polish from them at their display this year at the Back to The Fifties car show at the Minnesota fairgrounds. Its called "Boss Correcting Cream" polish and it really did make all the difference in the world. I was definitely impressed with what it did. I started out thinking the original paint wasn't that faded or oxidized , but wow!.

Last edited:
The reason I posted 98% original paint was because of this crappy repaint of the drivers door that happened sometime in the cars past life. I am impressed with the replacement pin-striping though....
DSCN2123.JPG

Here are a couple interior pictures including a under hood picture. Standard optioned cracked steering wheel :lol: but decent leather ,carpet and dash.

View attachment 197119

View attachment 197120

View attachment 197121

Ahhh. Someone put an NYB interior in your car. Newports never had the leather option. Looks great!

BTW, Stan (commando1) has a NOS red steeri g wheel that I'm sure he'll let go for a reasonable price. There are 2 NOS red steering wheels on the planet that I know of. The other guy wants an obscene amount $$$ for his.

Back