78 NYB ?

Dan Scully

Reaction score
Nice car, but roof is almost gone. 440 engine, pics are of it as is, no cleanup. Have to see if it runs, pretty sure it will. 78 here is a pain with smog inspections. So, part it or sell it as is with the roof issue? Any idea on pricing considering the roof problem? Roof is weak, but might be able to fix enough to put a top back on it? Thanks for any input.

20230111_155024.jpg
20230111_155033.jpg
20230111_155052.jpg
20230111_155059.jpg
20230111_155239.jpg
20230111_155245.jpg
20230111_155257.jpg
20230111_155302.jpg
20230111_155318.jpg

may be a lotta good parts on this one though. yeah, the roof is bad. dunno what rest looks like, how well it runs, options, etc therefore can't make a judgment on saving it to be a driver.

as owner now, i would represent it honestly and see what the market will bear. I'd ask $2K for it and settle for less if needed. Or, might be surprised how many people might want it?

as a buyer, i'd be more where @detmatt suggests, depending on a look see.

good luck chief.

It’s a shame that the roof is so far gone, might’ve made a good daily drive or otherwise. As mentioned above 2Gs is probably a good jump off point, but I would expect less if you get a buyer that knows what he’s looking at.
I’d certainly be interested if it were closer as a parts car from my 77, but you’re on the West Coast and I’m on the best coast. Dollars for donuts just doesn’t make sense.

I think as is, $2500 tops. Get it running, driving, stopping? Maybe a little more. Detailed pics of the true condition of the car, like frame,etc, would help in pricing. Myself, I steer clear of “pig in a poke” cars unless they are no brainer cheap and close by.

With the top issues, might be a candidate for a unique parade car? Not sure what would be needed to reinforce the body so the doors would still open and close, though. Other than the roof issues, looks like it could be a nice car.

its a Salon, you can see the smaller back window and the Salon specific 15x7 "aluminum fascia basket" road wheels and Salon only leather wrapped steering wheel

Thanks for all the input. I, ll throw it out there for $2500 and see what happens. Car is super solid and no rust other than the darn top. Unfortunately, It is probably worth more in parts than whole.

oh my that is a Salon like @marko said. if the roof issues have made it uneconomical to restore, lotta potentially good parts there as others have pointed out.

good luck to you sir.

to @Boydsdodge point, and others observing car looks good other than roof, and if it still runs, I would be warming up to this Salon.

i am not buyer due to transport cost across the country, but IF the water in/egress didn't "pool" (other than ruin headliner) in the cabin, or trunk, didn't unsafely weaken A & C pillars, mildew/mold the seats, louse up the electronics, etc, reskinning the roof/replacing the vinyl seems straightforward/cost effective for a Salon.

I say that with NO skill at the metalwork, but I have seen folks do what I perceive to be much harder things in restos/repairs.

Again, hope it can find a home and be brought back by the right buyer.

Last edited:
its a Salon, you can see the smaller back window and the Salon specific 15x7 "aluminum fascia basket" road wheels and Salon only leather wrapped steering wheel
yep, Salons are hard to find....but not sure it's worth fixing.....

Hard to say. Seems Sea Bodies are all over price wise. The higher priced ones are for sale forever. I would say $1000 as is. I paid $1500 for my green 74' New Yorker w/440 as is. Only thing I did was add 5 new white wall tires.

20200312_172257.jpg

20200312_172235.jpg

Last edited:
A roof skin would be a good idea for this, unfortunately, I don't think anyone makes reproduction roof skins for formals. The rust on the roof doesn't actually look all too bad, probably most cars with a "good" vinyl top have a similar amount of rust hiding underneath

Surely, there must be a formal out there somewhere with rusted out quarters but an intact roof you can scavenge?

the roof skin can be got from a donor car.
the silver elk grain vinyl used on the Salons can develop splits if not cared for and all Salons had padded tops so the padding material can retain water.
(well except for my 78 Salon that was the last one, it didnt have receive padding because they ran out of silver elk grain and ASC had to come up with a substitute so they could get the car out of there). the elk grain material is available today.
the awesome Salon that used to belong to and was done by Kip Gardiner and is now in the custody and care of @amazinblue82 had a roof swap from a sunroof car done because kip wanted a sunroof Salon.
National Moparts in Beaverton Ont did the job and it turned out beautifully.

Last edited:
Back