880. Anyone know about them?

Smitty, who brought my Polara back on the street, is an expert in 880s and stores plenty of parts. He is a member here.

Some of the exceptions from a 63 Chrysler would be the tail lights chrome and front clip. 62 used a 61 dodge front clip on a 62 Newport 63 had the same car with a totally redesigned front clip but I think most 64 880’s shared the 63 front clip parts. The modified Chrysler tail lights to fit the 63 “standard” of round tail lights in Dodges. I’ve heard the tail lights can be a pain to find.

Are there particular parts you're concerned with finding ? I don't think it's deserving of a 100% nut/bolt restoration. It looks like a complete car and the price seems decent. I would think it would make a nice and cheap cruiser project.

Each year has a few unique pieces body wise to them,since they where a stop gate measure to bring back a big car quickly. mechanical standard Mopar stuff. Only took me a few years :steering: to find NOS taillight lens for the 64.

DSC02211.jpg

It LOOKS from the engine shot, to have factory AC, which was not a common option on these, and is a big plus. Definitely check those floor and trunk pans, but if those aren't "fatal" flaws, you have a good entry cruiser project. Certain body/trim pieces are pretty hard to locate on these, but if the chrome is as good as what's in the photos, it's complete. That would make what this car needs, not too hard to do. I think that with a 383 it would have plenty of power too.........

I thought about buying it. I like anything with fins. I had never heard of an 880 before seeing the ad.

There is one listed on my local CL. Just wondering if these are as tough to get parts for as my Fury.

1963 Dodge Custom 880
Here is the short version of the Dodge 880 story. In 62 when Chrysler downsized, Dodge dealers complained that they did not have a full size car to sell, and the buyers would not upgrade to a Chrysler. So, in a matter of weeks, the company put a 62 Polara front end on a 62 Chrysler and called it the Dodge 800. These are extremely rare now. I think Don Draper drove one in one of the earlier episodes of Mad Men. He wrecked it.

In 63 it got its own sheet metal front, and kept the 62 rear sheet metal. In 64 it got its own rear sheet metal and slightly changed from the sheet metal. Mechanical parts are all pretty much Chrysler. Sheet metal is not hard to find, as long as you know the year you are looking for. However, not much of the 62-63 sheet metal transfers to 64. In fact, not much transfers to the 64. There are 63s and 64s out there, and in junkyards if you search for them. There are some headache parts, such as the 64 trunk emblem and the 64 gunsights. 63s are much easier to find. A word about engines. The 880 came stock with a 361 2bbl. This could be upgraded to a 383 with a 4 bbl, known as the "Power Pak." In 64, you could order a 413 4bbl in it. Also, the 63 front bumper is a Chrysler, as is the rear bumper, but from a 62.

880s came in two trim levels, the 880 and Custom 880. The main difference was the trim on the interior.

I had an AACA judge of 30 years experience tell me he had never even seen one. This is my 64 2 door hardtop with 413 4bbl.

014.JPG

One of the reasons I sold my '62 New Yorker was the time and price involved in finding replacement parts. Eeek!

I've got a 63 880 4 door sedan. 361 with a/c. It's been a great car! Parts are hard to find though! But you will be the only one with an 880 at the car show!

Here is the short version of the Dodge 880 story. In 62 when Chrysler downsized, Dodge dealers complained that they did not have a full size car to sell, and the buyers would not upgrade to a Chrysler. So, in a matter of weeks, the company put a 62 Polara front end on a 62 Chrysler and called it the Dodge 800. These are extremely rare now. I think Don Draper drove one in one of the earlier episodes of Mad Men. He wrecked it.

In 63 it got its own sheet metal front, and kept the 62 rear sheet metal. In 64 it got its own rear sheet metal and slightly changed from the sheet metal. Mechanical parts are all pretty much Chrysler. Sheet metal is not hard to find, as long as you know the year you are looking for. However, not much of the 62-63 sheet metal transfers to 64. In fact, not much transfers to the 64. There are 63s and 64s out there, and in junkyards if you search for them. There are some headache parts, such as the 64 trunk emblem and the 64 gunsights. 63s are much easier to find. A word about engines. The 880 came stock with a 361 2bbl. This could be upgraded to a 383 with a 4 bbl, known as the "Power Pak." In 64, you could order a 413 4bbl in it. Also, the 63 front bumper is a Chrysler, as is the rear bumper, but from a 62.

880s came in two trim levels, the 880 and Custom 880. The main difference was the trim on the interior.

I had an AACA judge of 30 years experience tell me he had never even seen one. This is my 64 2 door hardtop with 413 4bbl.

View attachment 216826
I was under the understanding that 880 cop cars were the only ones that recieved the 413?

View attachment 216826

A bit more background on the 62 880.
The 1962 Chrysler is actually a 1961 Polara, with new quarter stampings.
The 62 Chrysler used the 61 Dodge trunklid, tail panel and rear bumper.
Imagine if you will, a 61 Polara, with 61 Chrysler fenders, hood, grille etc bolted on, a Chrysler dash, and new quarters.

Essentially, the 62 880 was created quickly, by bolting the 61 Polara front end and dash to the 62 Chrysler body, which itself was the Dodge Polara to begin with.

So basically, the 62 880, is a 61 Polara, with new quarters, and the 62 Chrysler is a 61 Polara with the same new quarters and the Chrysler front sheetmetal and dash.

Last edited:
The 1962 Dodge Custom 880 lifted trim pieces from the 1962 Dodge Dart 440, 1962 Dodge Polara 500, and 1961 Chrysler New Yorker.

"Parts bin" engineering at its finest.

But the 1962 Custom 880 was a success in one department - sales. The 1961 Polara was in production from August, 1961 to July, 1962 - 12 months. Production totalled 14,032 (1,169 per month). The 1962 Custom 880 from January, 1962 to July, 1962 - seven months - 17,505 built (2,501 per month). Both the Lancer and the Dart saw 1962 production drop.

Back