For Sale 91 Spirit RT- not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnfind

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
in case your still looking for that manual sh#t box stan.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T 2.2L Turbo

If you are looking at this, chances are you are aware what it is. 1 of 1399 made in 91-92. Super clean inside and out. Very mechanically sound and runs like a champ!

2.2L turbo III engine, 5 speed manual, 224 HP, power windows and locks.

I have owned the car for 12 years and have only put about 16k miles on it. Tires are a couple years old but only have about 2k miles on them. Brand new battery as of a couple of weeks ago. Some of the clear coat is peeling away on the roof, trunk lid, and rear bumper. Paint is pretty good other than those bad spots. See photos for details. The rear brake lines were replaced about 5 years ago. The car has never been driven in the winter since I have been the owner and has always been garaged kept until recently.

Serious inquires only please. If you have any questions please ask! No trades, cash only! Thanks for looking
00a0a_b7l1oS6BZGy_600x450.jpg
00D0D_7Y8Wt9SRfUx_600x450.jpg
00R0R_4vV7cpTPjop_600x450.jpg
00Z0Z_fGgVbalzjEM_600x450.jpg

Good grief ,,,you hate Stan dont you.

why do you say that? its a kick a$$ car
Head stud kit, good head gasket, bigger turbo and BOV, a good tune, and it'll smoke alot of cars running around.

POS,,,that's all...DOHC anything I would recommend stay away unless you are IN LOVE WITH IT>

Not trying to be rude. ..Parts are a problem for these engines from what I remember. Support aftermarket is a problem. Any one interested in this era Chrysler would be better off with a single overhead cam engine unless they want the adventure. I know DOHC is cutting edge but Honda/Toyota was way ahead. On paper this car is way cool but today it is for an enthusiast of this platform only. A turbo Shadow say an 1988 manual with a slant 4 8 valve engine without a cross flow head ,,although antiquated in so many ways would be better for service. Only my opinion. A 8 valve 2.2 litre [135 cubic inches] can make an easy 250 hp and 300 torque at 18 psi boost. But then you better make sure the engine and tranny will swallow that on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Not trying to start any sh$t either, just curious your point of view. Yes, you don't want any cracked heads with III design. The car looks to be in good shape to start and not an abused kids toy. The reason I posted it up. I'd take a chance with the III engine, should be good up close to 400hp on stock bottom end.

I understand completely. I remember years ago the DOHC was the upgrade to make big HP for the drags. Especially in light Omni's Chargers etc. . Cracked heads do come to mind also with this motor. Finicky for sure. As I own one of these 8 valve 2.2's from this era I am just recalling what I remember. But mine is an 8 valve. The DOHC gave me the Willies... and I never went there.

Last edited:
I do thank you for posting as it is a very interesting car. I also remember guys retrofitting a DOHC head on a 8 valve block,,they went crazy. It was way over my head.

This should already have the getrag in it in stock form. To me its like starting with a 318 vs starting with a 440 as way of comparison. I haven't gone to the depth you have on these overlooked mopars. If this one were close by it would be in the driveway, my 85 Daytona t2 was a hoot to drive I can only imagine the thrill this one could bring.

my 85 Daytona t2 was a hoot to drive I can only imagine the thrill this one could bring.

Remember it is heavier. Spirit RT 2900lbs
Daytona 2460 lbs

Unless you modified your 85 Daytona there was no T2 option in 1985. All were turbo 1 non intercooled. The first factory intercooled T2 was the 1986 Shelby Dodge Omni GLHS made in Carol Shelby's plant in Whittier CA. 500 were made.
1987 was the T2 Shelby Charger also modified at Shelby's plant in CA. 1000 were made. Neither of these cars had a Getrag tranny. As such it was computer controlled to keep HP and especially torque down to 175 from the factory. It [ Omni Glhs}was the fastest American production car made that year. A tick faster than the Buick Grand National turbo. Not saying much these days. Anything much over 200 hp 200 torque would blow the transmission especially if you wheel hopped it. This is with the 525 transmission. Chrome molly end plate on these 525's would make them last a bit longer before their demise however.
The Getrag 555 tranny was introduced maybe in 1988 in Lebaron turbo and turbo 2's the Heavier cars. I installed a rebuilt 555 Getrag into my Omni Glhs because I knew the 525 was not long for this world with a modified engine..

Last edited:
I was just about to pull the trigger on this but you guys talked me out of it.
Oh, well. I'll keep looking. :p

Seriously , thank you for posting these crap boxes. I'm learning a lot about them and I'm starting to get enamored over them.

Wait. Did I say that? :eek:

Last edited:
Well I have no idea how these DOHC's held up just tooling around day to day with no stress. Just memories of guys flogging them in the distant past. The 2.2 8 valves even stock would go through head gaskets from time to time.

Well I have no idea how these DOHC's held up just tooling around day to day with no stress. Just memories of guys flogging them in the distant past. The 2.2 8 valves even stock would go through head gaskets from time to time.

As long as you didn't overheat the engine....

Yes that is what I remember. I don't remember if they cracked from high boost detonation or had head gasket problems. Like I said I just never went there.

From my reading,
Heads cracked on the 91 units, due to cast iron plugs used in water jakets instead of aluminium. Per allpar.
Premature timing belt wear was another problem due improper tensioning.

with a lotus designed head it produces 224hp out of the box, with greater potential

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back