915 heads

Moose440

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a set of 915 heads I just took off my car they have a valve job 2.14 intake 1.810 exhaust valve with comp springs and stainless valves. The have around 6000 miles on them I was wondering what I could get for them. The one problem and it’s a big problem is the driver head is cracked. I had it lock and stitched last year but it didn’t take all the hardware is good and the other head is fine. Any help or info would be great thanks.

A nice pair of these 915 heads starts at about $850 and can go up from there, depending if hard seats are installed and if any port work has been done and if bronze guides have been installed. You have one head that is cracked and is probably a good lamp project especially since a repair was already tried. It might get tricky trying to find a buyer for only one usable head. Most guys building an engine are probably not going to take the risk of trying to use second hand valves and springs for a fresh performance build. I might do that with my own heads that I knew the history on, but not someone else's. I would put your description from your post out there with a "make offer" and see if anyone bites with a realistic offer.

Dave

It shouldn't be this hard? Either find a replacement head, have it done up and run it as the other is low miles, or. Replace both a new modern pair. Good Luck

I need ONE 915 head!! Lets do a deal man. I have one that needs to be totally reworked, and would be very keen to get the good one off you. I might want the cracked one for the valve train too. I'm not super endowed with funds, but we might arrive at a transaction here. Another fellow has some bare 915 heads he has offered a most reasonable price on, but I like the idea of getting a bit with some decent valve hardware......

A nice pair of these 915 heads starts at about $850 and can go up from there, depending if hard seats are installed and if any port work has been done and if bronze guides have been installed. You have one head that is cracked and is probably a good lamp project especially since a repair was already tried. It might get tricky trying to find a buyer for only one usable head. Most guys building an engine are probably not going to take the risk of trying to use second hand valves and springs for a fresh performance build. I might do that with my own heads that I knew the history on, but not someone else's. I would put your description from your post out there with a "make offer" and see if anyone bites with a realistic offer.

Dave

Dave, I have one 915 head right now, and would like another to make a pair. I copped this from a dude selling what he thought was a pair of 516s. Imagine my joy when I saw at home that one of the putative 516s was a 915! But now I want another to match....

Dave, I have one 915 head right now, and would like another to make a pair. I copped this from a dude selling what he thought was a pair of 516s. Imagine my joy when I saw at home that one of the putative 516s was a 915! But now I want another to match....

You and the OP should make a deal.

Dave

If I can get $850 for my 915 heads with a fresh valve job I have a set for sale. They will have brand new exhaust valves.
That will almost buy half a set of trick flows.

If I can get $850 for my 915 heads with a fresh valve job I have a set for sale. They will have brand new exhaust valves.
That will almost buy half a set of trick flows.
That’s a fair price, 1.60 or 1.74 exhaust valves?

I'll sell the 1.60 valve ones I have now. I'm never going to use them, never going to put the money in them. They are taking up space. Without a valve job and small valves, and old springs they are worth what $200. I don't want to clutter this guy's thread anymore, someone wants mine PM me. Asking and getting are two different animals

I'll sell the 1.60 valve ones I have now. I'm never going to use them, never going to put the money in them. They are taking up space. Without a valve job and small valves, and old springs they are worth what $200. I don't want to clutter this guy's thread anymore, someone wants mine PM me.
What do you mean clutter this guys thread anymore? We’re still talking 915s at least.:lol:

I'm confused. 214s and 181s are the biggest valves that will fit in any of the stock 440 headz. Seams like you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by installing those valves in the closed chamber 915s? And I don't even wanna get into discussing cam duration and lift, and hauling your own tanker full of AVFUEL for the Street Brawling, Jer

I'll sell the 1.60 valve ones I have now. I'm never going to use them, never going to put the money in them. They are taking up space. Without a valve job and small valves, and old springs they are worth what $200. I don't want to clutter this guy's thread anymore, someone wants mine PM me. Asking and getting are two different animals

Please check your inbox. I don't want to clutter this thread either.

I'm confused. 214s and 181s are the biggest valves that will fit in any of the stock 440 headz. Seams like you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by installing those valves in the closed chamber 915s? And I don't even wanna get into discussing cam duration and lift, and hauling your own tanker full of AVFUEL for the Street Brawling, Jer

Mathilda runs very nicely on Shell or Chevron premium, 91 octane petrol now with 516 heads. I don't want to burn rubber at traffic intersections and won't with a 2:76 rear end (often or intentionally). I DO want my B block motors to have ~ 9:1 compression for good passing power with the 2-bbl carburetors they have. Mathilda manages this with the current setup and a VERY OLD engine. I suspect it was built over once, long ago at most. The timing chain I replaced was a very stock looking Cloyes sort, and the distributor I replaced was an OEM one, which I've kept.

My point here is that the modest high compression design of these 2 barrel B block motors allows us to run premium gas with decent performance. I can pass idiots quickly enough 3/4s of the time, or let those over endowed with $ and horsepower race ahead, draw the wrath of the constabulary while I cruise safely along well behind. The fellows Will Wirtman hired knew their craft of engine design well; assuming he didn't dictate the specs for the 1966. If I want a towing motor, I'll put such in a truck with some obscenely high ratio (3:91, 4:10) rear end and build that to run Slop-O-leen Regular at 8:1 compression.

I suspect the current cam is an old original from the mid-1960s, though it might be flattened by age and having been run with crap motor oil before I got it. Hopefully, there wasn't much of such abuse. The young fellow I bought Tilly from admitted she had spent more than a decade in his father's garage, partially disassembled. I think I'm happy about THAT, given what Junior did when he got his Papa's ride back on the street at first. I just thank the Lord he sold Tilly to me BEFORE he had time to really bugger the drive train.

Last edited:
I ended up going aluminum on my motor I’m just seeing if anyone could use what I have. I’m not looking to bang someone over the head lol. There’s real good hardware in them with bronze guides and all. People know these heads crack so I’m sure someone is looking for one. Or both. It’s a shame to let it sit. They are one year heads. And worked awesome for me till the guy cracked it by over heating where the exhaust stud was and cracked it. So I paid 500 bucks to have it stitched and was assured that it was fine but it wasn’t.

I need ONE 915 head!! Lets do a deal man. I have one that needs to be totally reworked, and would be very keen to get the good one off you. I might want the cracked one for the valve train too. I'm not super endowed with funds, but we might arrive at a transaction here. Another fellow has some bare 915 heads he has offered a most reasonable price on, but I like the idea of getting a bit with some decent valve hardware......
Make me an offer I’d love to see them be used.

Back