For Sale 96 Caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
Probably the #1 Best Buy on eBay right now at 92,000 listings.

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

My kind of guy. I wish I could have the honor of being the next custodian of the last real GM automobile.

I am the original owner of this 1996 Caprice Classic. It was the last model year of the full size rear wheel drive Caprice. I retired as a Trooper that year and purchased this vehicle as my retirement car. I equipped it just as the vehicles I had driven and learned to trust over 20 years as a Trooper. These vehicles were made for heavy duty use. It is equipped with the LT1 5.7 L V8. It has a heavy duty alternator, cooling system, transmission cooler and over size tires 235-70-15. The original tires were replaced with BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A and have 10/32 tread remaining. I am the only operator of this vehicle and put all of the 16,500 miles on it. There is no rust, dings or chips in the paint. It has been kept in a garage its entire life. The battery has been upgraded to AGM technology. I changed the oil & filter and greased the lube points every 2,000 miles. I have the original window sticker, framed, the original owners manual, the original door keys and ignition keys. The floor mats were removed and stored the day of purchase and were never used, they are included. The full size spare is mounted on a full size aluminum wheel, identical to the ones pictured. The spare has never been on the ground. It is equipped with headlight flasher, electronic siren, scanner, electric shotgun lock, federal signal goose neck map light. The shotgun and chrome fire extinguisher are not included. Dash instrumentation includes, voltage, engine temp, oil pressure, fuel and digital speedometer/ odometer. Windows have legal tint. Vehicle has never been in an accident. Mechanical and cosmetic condition is just as it was driving off the dealer's lot. Starts and runs strong. The only reason I am even considering selling it is I am moving to a smaller home without as much garage space, and this vehicle deserves to be garaged.

Probably the #1 Best Buy on eBay right now at 92,000 listings.

1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic | eBay

View attachment 147461

My kind of guy. I wish I could have the honor of being the next custodian of the last real GM automobile.

I am the original owner of this 1996 Caprice Classic. It was the last model year of the full size rear wheel drive Caprice. I retired as a Trooper that year and purchased this vehicle as my retirement car. I equipped it just as the vehicles I had driven and learned to trust over 20 years as a Trooper. These vehicles were made for heavy duty use. It is equipped with the LT1 5.7 L V8. It has a heavy duty alternator, cooling system, transmission cooler and over size tires 235-70-15. The original tires were replaced with BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A and have 10/32 tread remaining. I am the only operator of this vehicle and put all of the 16,500 miles on it. There is no rust, dings or chips in the paint. It has been kept in a garage its entire life. The battery has been upgraded to AGM technology. I changed the oil & filter and greased the lube points every 2,000 miles. I have the original window sticker, framed, the original owners manual, the original door keys and ignition keys. The floor mats were removed and stored the day of purchase and were never used, they are included. The full size spare is mounted on a full size aluminum wheel, identical to the ones pictured. The spare has never been on the ground. It is equipped with headlight flasher, electronic siren, scanner, electric shotgun lock, federal signal goose neck map light. The shotgun and chrome fire extinguisher are not included. Dash instrumentation includes, voltage, engine temp, oil pressure, fuel and digital speedometer/ odometer. Windows have legal tint. Vehicle has never been in an accident. Mechanical and cosmetic condition is just as it was driving off the dealer's lot. Starts and runs strong. The only reason I am even considering selling it is I am moving to a smaller home without as much garage space, and this vehicle deserves to be garaged.

Yes. I feel sad when I think such a car would have been the number one selling car in the nation during a different era.

Personally I would have spec'd out a Roadmaster the same way, but that's a minor quibble.

I had a 1972 Caprice Classic. Redone it from bumper to bumper.

I'm with Carmine... It's not only that my inner snob would prefer a Roadmaster or Fleetwood... the chevys always seemed to me to be the ugly ducks of this generation. Very few Buicks and Caddies had that fan shroud, which is the giveaway for the factory towing kit. I really liked the factory tuck and roll leather too... it was a tough interior to beat.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Yes. I feel sad when I think such a car would have been the number one selling car in the nation during a different era.

Personally I would have spec'd out a Roadmaster the same way, but that's a minor quibble.
I did.
Late in the 96 MY, I found a dealer who had exactly one allocation left and I ordered a Roadmaster wagon, black with wood and 3rd seat delete. It was basically a copy of a 9C1 cop car. I blacked out some brightwork, threw some GS badges on and produced "The Hearse".

1996_Buick_Roadmaster_3.jpg

1996 Buick Roadmaster station wagon

Last edited:
In my opinion..way over priced....he should start at 12k and hope to get up to 15k.
I'm probably one of the cheapest CBs on here and it's worth at least 15.
An as-new full size 1996 RWD RWD GM B-body sedan? 18 is still fair.
It will be more comfortable and more reliable than a 2017.

With the mileage being low it may be worth more than what we think, let's watch and see

I'm probably one of the cheapest CBs on here and it's worth at least 15.
An as-new full size 1996 RWD RWD GM B-body sedan? 18 is still fair.
It will be more comfortable and more reliable than a 2017.

You would be surprised on how low that would sell at auction. Highest price through EBay probably to someone that just had to have the car.

That's why e bay exists . Potential buyers around the globe whereas an auction has an isolated crowd.
I'm surprised so many auctions still exist.

I bought a special car as a retirement present to myself and hardly drove. Sounds just stupid enough to be a cop.
With all the cop equipment in the car, including the shotgun mounted to the floor, I don't think he wanted to retire.

Trivia: I know a LOT about this car. came through on my watch, actually just after this is when I joined the program:

00-1-3.jpg

however, a much derided design .. the "upside down bath tub". Yes, our Car of the Year was gettin' dissed before the ink was dry on the press release.

So for 1993 we scrambled to widen rear axle (car looked 'spindly" from the back so said consumers) redesigned the quarters, let non-fleets get the LT1, did the SS's off the cop rigs etc

00-1-3-000.jpg

00-1-3-00.jpg

1996 Impala SS
00-1-3.jpg

As is sometimes the case, by the time we killed it, it was a fine car. Either ya liked the looks or you didnt, but for power, ride, quality, creature comforts, roominess .. shoot they came down the same assembly line as the buick's and caddies and have more in common with the upper end nameplates than most realize.

And i have owed 2 SS Impalas, and half a dozen Caprice 9C1 cop rigs. Loved every one of 'em

All that to say, i hope THIS one sells for 18 (or more). I dont think it will but thats NOT because its not a great car .. i just believe its underappreciated by the masses.

But if you're into THESE cars, this would be a good one to have :)

Last edited:
With all the cop equipment in the car, including the shotgun mounted to the floor, I don't think he wanted to retire.

By the sounds of this car, you could have your own under cover cop car, I'd rather have a Ford cop car though!

FWIW, I owned an Impala SS and then the Roadmaster. When the P51 Ford Interceptor Mercury Marauder was introduced, I test drove it considering using my Roadmaster as a Trade-in.
The test drive convinced me my Roadmaster was still a better car.
Not that I would toss out of my garage a Vic/Marquis/Town Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back