A 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham as a movie star

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Found this 2dr '72 NYB listed for movie rental. The exterior paint looks like GK6 Autumn Bronze (or is it GT8 Chestnut Brown? @saforwardlook may be able to tell), while the interior and top look like the G6T5 tan vinyl buckets and V1T tan, respectively. The car looks great with its road wheels. @Jeffrey Robidoux -- this might be a good opportunity to go and see if a '72 NYB is in your future!

Used-1971-Chrysler-New-Yorker.jpg

Used-1971-Chrysler-New-Yorker2.jpg

Used-1971-Chrysler-New-Yorker3.jpg

Used-1971-Chrysler-New-Yorker4.jpg

Found this 2dr '72 NYB listed for movie rental. The exterior paint looks like GK6 Autumn Bronze (or is it GT8 Chestnut Brown? @saforwardlook may be able to tell), while the interior and top look like the G6T5 tan vinyl buckets and V1T tan, respectively. The car looks great with its road wheels. @Jeffrey Robidoux -- this might be a good opportunity to go and see if a '72 NYB is in your future!

View attachment 346537

View attachment 346538

View attachment 346539

View attachment 346540

I believe it is GK6, autumn bronze. GT8 isn't that bright in the sunlight.

Beautiful car. Don't think it's GK6 . . . we had a 71 Monaco GK6, and it was definitely more to the "copper" or "orange" range. Also, don't think it was a stock color in 72. 71, and also some 73s (maybe a 73 Spring Special color, IIRC).

don't think (GK6) was a stock color in 72.

I learned something today. After checking with the Hamtramck Registry library, it seems that indeed GK6 was available in 1971 and 1973 but was not a standard color in 1972. Still, to paraphrase @saforwardlook, this NYB's coat does look brighter (given the ambient light) than I would expect from a GT8 car. And GT6 was not available on Chryslers in 1972, either...

Note: all links courtesy of this great source of info, The 1970 Hamtramck Registry.

Last edited:
Dave's posting raises the possibility that it could be GK6 after all. However, the sales brochure itself -- as uploaded on www.Fuselage.de -- does not list GK6 (or GT6 for that matter) as a standard offering on Chryslers / Imperials.

Regardless, I think we all agree that this '72 New Yorker is beautiful.

I had a few of these cars back in the day and also purchased paint to keep the rust at bay.

Jollyjoker is correct, the darker color had a copper colored metallic type particle "base" while the lighter color was more of a golden color. All the Dupli-color spray cans at the time were the more popular GK6 - Autumn Bronze. Very rarely did I see the darker color on a car, as I had the darker - Chestnut brown color. It looked awesome in the sun when it was newly waxed.

Maybe this car was re-painted at some time in her life and they found the Autumn Bronze as a more reliably available option.

Regardless I would love to have her in my garage.

Since the "brown" colors available in 1972 apparently were carryover 1971 colors originating in 1971 (G code prefix), all I can compare the color on this 72 NYB to are two of my 1971 GT8 cars, and neither one is anywhere close to the color of this 72 NYB. From my 1971 color chips, I would estimate this color is closer to GY6 but not a bulls eye either. I don't have a 1972 Color & Trim selector for 1972 models since I never intended to own one so my ability to further comment is limited.

Edit:
These conclusions revised in post 21 below now................

Last edited:
I'm also a "non-fan" of brown, EXCEPT for nice metallic like this, especially when contrasted with this terrific bucket-set interior! I hope the owner who is pimping for movie rental knows what they're getting into. With a reputable studio, and professional production company, it can be great fun, (and lucrative), but that's not always the case. There are a LOT of horror stories out there, and I'd hate to see anything happen to this bronze beauty from that type of thing. THANKS for posting this, great to see.

The lower body trim on the passenger side already looks messed up..............................

I sure wouldn't loan any of my cars to a movie studio no matter how lucrative.

The lower body trim on the passenger side already looks messed up..............................

I sure wouldn't loan any of my cars to a movie studio no matter how lucrative.

Yeah, looks like it rubbed hard against something. Also, I noticed that the right front dome cap on the wheel has its tip snipped. And these look like the real Chrysler domes too....

Back