A/C Chrome Vents - 1965 Fury

Mudeblue

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing an off frame restoration of my 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury. It originally did not have factory air but I have obtained a dash for it that had factory air which will be repainted and re-padded. The chrome air vents, however, are heavily bubbled although the chrome polishes up very nicely. I don't know if the bubbles can be polished out by a professional or if they would have to be completely stripped and re-chromed. My preference would be to buy good used or NOS vents but that would probably be wishful thinking. My options appear to be 1) polish the existing ones to rid them of the bubbles, 2) strip and re-chrome or 3) get good used or new ones. These may have been used on other Chrysler models but I could not determine that through my research. Does anyone have any suggestions or know someone who might have have replacements. I have attached pictures which illustrates the condition of my vents. Thanks

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried to polish it with steel wool ?
I saw some recommendations for 30 and 40 weight steel wool but not worth the risk and if used, must do very lightly! Items to difficult to locate to even attempt but thanks.

There's gotta be a 65-66 Fury with AC sitting in Desert Valley's yard - if the car was local, it's likely the chrome vents are pit free. Being in Phoenix, if I were you, that'd be the first place I'd check.

This is my chrome polishing combo.
Scotch brite pads give some scrubbing action but wont scratch.
I'm sure other polish will work just as good but autosol is the best I've come across.
As Ross said there is likley nice original vents out there.

20210713_102522.jpg

There's gotta be a 65-66 Fury with AC sitting in Desert Valley's yard - if the car was local, it's likely the chrome vents are pit free. Being in Phoenix, if I were you, that'd be the first place I'd check.
Three 65 Sport Fury that I have visited many times but thanks!

You'll probably be better off having them refinished. The bubbles you see are likely the same as most of the other parts on our cars that are chromed and do that where the oxidation is coming from the metal underneath the chrome. If you try to polish the bubbles down you may end up making it look worse by opening up the pits larger. I have a 66 here in PHX I'm doing a frame off Resto-mod on as well. I need my vents but let me know if you need any other factory a/c stuff. I'm most likely going to retrofit mine with a vintage air evaporator unit and upgraded style compressor. I still have my factory evaporator and parts but its definitely in a condition of needing rebuilt and restored. Unfortunately mine is still at the paint shop getting a little body work and fresh coat of paint.

You'll probably be better off having them refinished. The bubbles you see are likely the same as most of the other parts on our cars that are chromed and do that where the oxidation is coming from the metal underneath the chrome. If you try to polish the bubbles down you may end up making it look worse by opening up the pits larger. I have a 66 here in PHX I'm doing a frame off Resto-mod on as well. I need my vents but let me know if you need any other factory a/c stuff. I'm most likely going to retrofit mine with a vintage air evaporator unit and upgraded style compressor. I still have my factory evaporator and parts but its definitely in a condition of needing rebuilt and restored. Unfortunately mine is still at the paint shop getting a little body work and fresh coat of paint.
I have the complete A/C for my 65 Sport Fury that I purchased in Dallas but was really after the dash which has the factory air vents and controls. However, the compressor, evaporator, hoses, etc. very unattractive so I am going to put a Vintage Air in. I just put a Vintage Air in my 66 GTO, and the the shop/individual that put it in did a great job; polished the aluminum compressor, hid the hoses, polished aluminum radiator (Griffin), dual electric fans that push 3,800 CFM (car runs 180-185 here in Phoenix when it is 110) while at the same time retained the original controls, cable, for the original look. Overall a great look. The only thing I don't like is the A/C fan is loud. My plan is to copy the GTO in the Fury! I am in the final stages, that means another 12 months, but having a very difficult time finding catwhiskers/sweeps and vent channel weatherstripping. Any suggestions?

GTO AC 1.jpg

GTO AC 2.jpg

GTO AC 3.jpg

Haven't had much luck with those myself. You're further along than I am but I've been trying to buy stuff as I find it available to avoid having a few little things hold me up in the end

BTW sounds like you had the same idea I did with the A/C plan

Back