For Sale A/C compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senator Leahy

Reaction score
Contact seller
Not sure what year this ones from. Came with some extra parts in the trunk when I bought the car. Selling as is. Make me an offer or I'd be willing to trade. Looking for map light, intake manifold, anything for a 65 New Yorker with a 413

image.jpg

That's a RV2. It was used on V8 Mopar cars and trucks starting in 1964 and continuing through 1979 as well as in some 1980 trucks. It will fit cars and trucks (with V8 engines) produced in those model years and requires no modification. the earlier RV2s had rounded oil sumps rather that the flattened type of later years. Also there was a mod to the bearing oiling system at sometime between !971 and 1977. Do you think that this was removed because it had failed? They lasted seemingly forever mechanicaly as long as they weren't run out of lube in which case the connecting rod bearings are likely ruined. You can check that out by removing the oil sump. (the front seals don't last forever though). The 2 reed valve plates have value as does the magnetic clutch if it's coil and bearing are good. A rebuilt clutch goes for $190 or so and are very hard to get! I bought a RV2 "carcass" a few months ago for $60 because I needed it's clutch but someone had already scavanged the coil out of the clutch and it's bearing was shot. You should be able to sell the whole thing as is to a rebuilder if you don't want to part it out yourself. They are very easy to "field strip" without special tools. Good luck. I'd like to know if you decide to part it out? I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks. Very helpful. I had no idea they were so widely used and parts were still available for them. It actually seems like the bearing in this one is better than the one that's in the car. Might get both of them looked at to see if they're still in working order. Thanks for the info

A rebuilt clutch goes for $190 or so and are very hard to get!
Actually, the only servicable component in the clutch is the bearing which you can find for about $35 as was discussed in another thread recently.

I doubt the "rebuilt" clutches are anything more than a dip in the parts cleaner tank and given a coat of Satin Black.

You are probably correct in that some "rebuilders" simply replace the bearing, give the assembly a spray of paint, and then hit you pretty hard in the wallet for it, but my last 2 clutch assemblies had the mating surface on the hub and shoe assembly as well as on the pulley machined, requiring a "burnishing proceedure" to be followed after installation. One source claimed to install new spring bars in the hub and shoe assembly if needed. If that is all true then I suppose the $195 pricetag currently shown by Four Seasons is within reason, but I used to pay around $90 as recently as 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back