A/C compressors

Davea Lux

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if the v-twin compressors can still be found that can be set up with R-12?
134a does not do well in these older systems.

AAP has the RV2 compressor w/o clutch and you can buy the clutch from them separately.

I have a 78 NYB with manual A/C with R134A and I'm getting 38 degrees at the center vent.

The best place for r-12 is craigslist or local swap meet. At best a 12-14 oz can is $6 and if find some bulk its $10 a pound. Prices go up from there and shipping is close to impossible so buy withing driving distance. I would talk to whomever is going to do the work on the car and get their opinion on which freon to buy and have the compressor rebuild then. It was classic air or vintage air that rebuild my '59 Imperial years ago.

As with all AC systems, after ensuring that the system is leak free and holds a vacuum, the trick with R134A is to get the refrigerant level correct. Typically the charge level is about 60% of the original R12 amount. Some need mire some kess.

According to AC pundits, start with 55% charge and watch your readings and vent temps. Continue to add 1/2 a pound at a time until vent temps start rising again... then stop, recover the last 1/2 pound and you're good.

I get 32 degrees all day long...

IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ADD MORE THAN RECOVER WHAT YOU DIDNT NEED TO ADD IN THE FIRST PLACE. AND HOW MANY GUYS OUT THERE HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO DO THAT. CHARGE IT TILL YOU HAVE A NICE SWEATLINE BACK TO THE COMPRESSOR.

Ouch! You're hurting my ears! :lol:

I was assuming that the charging would be done at a shop with the proper equipment. Here in Canada R134A can't be done by the backyard guy.

That being said there's all the butane based stuff like DuraCool available for backyarders. I use it on my other AC equipped cars and it works great too.

I have a 78 NYB with manual A/C with R134A and I'm getting 38 degrees at the center vent.
I said, Stop that.
slap.gif

Back