Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Trim Rings & Center Caps, Wheels Painted Black

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Leave it as it is

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters

shooter65

Reaction score
I finally bought a trailer, not exactly what I was looking for but I'm happy with it.

Appalachian Trailer, Pro Series Hyd Tilt Diamond Car Hauler, 20', 10k lbs.

I'm underwhelmed by the wheels and eventually want to improve them. I'm looking for suggestions.

This is what it has now.
DSC03829.JPG

My neighbor has the same basic wheels with trim rings and center caps.

I was also thinking about the trim rings and center caps but painting the wheels black to better match the trailer.
DSC03833.JPG

I tried the Sport Fury wheels but the axle hubs are too large for these.
DSC03834.JPG

I'm quite certain the 69 Fury III wheel covers would work.

upload_2020-8-26_5-59-19.png

Purchase new wheels, this would take time as I've already spent quite a bit on the trailer and upgrades.

upload_2020-8-26_6-4-15.png

Personally I wouldn't do anything. That is a really nice trailer. If you have a car strapped to it, I am not looking at the wheels on you trailer. What ever your decision you make I would not change the actual tire size and type which came with the trailer.

That looks like a nice trailer. How is the ramp angle with loading a car?

Personally, I can't understand the logic behind having fancy/expensive wheels on a trailer. They take a beating and get drug through stuff more often. I say keep the steel wheels, add trim rings and maybe paint them if you want to fancy it up a little.

Personally, I can't understand the logic behind having fancy/expensive wheels on a trailer. They take a beating and get drug through stuff more often. I say keep the steel wheels, add trim rings and maybe paint them if you want to fancy it up a little.

Good points made. I never liked chrome wheels on a black utility trailer, leave that to the custom boat trailers.

You want steel wheels as trailer tires and wheels take a beating. Remember, it is a trailer, essentially a large tool so I don't see the need to spend a lot to dress it up.

I had to purchase wheels for a project at work a couple years ago. Not all wheels are created equally. Trailer wheels are built stronger and have a higher weight capacity. I'd leave these wheels on there. Maybe paint them.

Instead of spending money on wheel dress up I would suggest purchasing two spare rims and tires mounted as they don't seem to last long. Also, UV Ray covers for the tires when not in use. The weather/sun degrades these tires. Don't believe me? ask a trailer place his opinion.

Last edited:
Instead of spending money on wheel dress up I would suggest purchasing two spare rims and tires mounted as they don't seem to last long. Also, UV Ray covers for the tires when not in use. The weather/sun degrades these tires. Don't believe me? as a trailer place his opinion.

Thanks, I didn't think about the UV covers, that's a very good idea. I ordered one spare with the trailer and am going to purchase a second.

Buying a trailer is like buying a dog. The purchase is usually only half the expense after you do all the mods and purchases to make it what you want. :lol:

Thank you. What a crises we would be in if the world needed other's approval for trailer wheels.
I'm not looking for approval, I'm looking for ideas to improve the looks and make it the way I want it. I doesn't matter to me if it appeals to someone else but it must appeal to me and the plain grey wheels don't do it for me.

Wow! Thats a bit....

Extreme coming from you.
It reminded me of my Corvette forum days when (true story) someone asked if his certain color Vette would clash with his state's vanity plate color.
I have never forgotten that and is reason #1,655 I couldn't deal with the Corvette community.

Sorry for being so cynical.

I'm definitely not going to change the tires and if I were to purchase new wheels they would have to be of equal specs to the wheels I have now. The tires are 10 ply and because I'll be hauling my tractor with this trailer as well, I won't compromise on the tires.

I was concerned about the load angle when I purchased it. I thought it was funny that they thought the beaver tail would improve the load angle on a tilt trailer. I will potentially use this for everything from my garden tractor, ScatPack Charger with 4 1/2" clearance to my Utility tractor. Here are pics the salesman sent me. Another customer has a Hellcat Challenger, same ground clearance as my Charger and a Demon Challenger with only 4" clearance. The Hellcat loaded without scraping, the Demon needed Race Ramps to load without scraping. The pics with the Challengers are not my trailer but a 7k 18', the other pics are of my trailer.

It also has a other options like a factory winch plate, 8 tie downs and removable fenders. I've got a few additions like auxiliary lighting, winch mount prep, and a tool box to add.

IMG_6811.jpg
IMG_7361.jpg
DSC03822.JPG
DSC03825.JPG
DSC03826.JPG
DSC03827.JPG
DSC03828.JPG
DSC03830.JPG
DSC03831.JPG
factory winch plate, 8 tie downs and removable fenders. I've got a few additions like auxiliary lighting, winch mount prep, and a tool box to add.

Nice trailer!

Leave it alone. With a wheel with a hub cap, you aren't going to be able to use those Bearing Buddy grease caps as easily, therefore, it might not get done.

dsc03829-jpg.jpg

Back