A MOST UNIQUE C-BODY—1970 CHRYSLER 300H (HURST)

Autotraveler

Reaction score
My name is Rich Truesdell and I am the co-author of the 2012 book, Hurst Equipped.

I was going through the book this morning looking for some Hurst/Mopar information and came across the pages dedicated to the Chrysler 300H and want to share it with the group.

Page_00134%20sm.jpg

Page_00135.jpg

I have less than a dozen hardbound author copies left. I'm offering the remaining copies I have, signed by me and my co-author Mark Fletcher, for $50, including USPS Priority Mail shipping.

I take PayPal and accept all major credit cards through SquarePayments. If you want to order a copy, click on my name at the top of this post and send me a private message so we can exchange payment and shipping details.

For fun, here’s a link to Mark and my appearance with Jay Leno on Jay Leno’s Garage back in 2012 when the book was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Xpt23n1FI&t=5s

My name is Rich Truesdell and I am the co-author of the 2012 book, Hurst Equipped.

I was going through the book this morning looking for some Hurst/Mopar information and came across the pages dedicated to the Chrysler 300H and want to share it with the group.

View attachment 429026
View attachment 429027

I have less than a dozen hardbound author copies left. I'm offering the remaining copies I have, signed by me and my co-author Mark Fletcher, for $50, including USPS Priority Mail shipping.

I take PayPal and accept all major credit cards through SquarePayments. If you want to order a copy, click on my name at the top of this post and send me a private message so we can exchange payment and shipping details.

For fun, here’s a link to Mark and my appearance with Jay Leno on Jay Leno’s Garage back in 2012 when the book was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Xpt23n1FI&t=5s
Welcome to the party Autotraveler. I owned my Hurst from '85 to '99. They are very unique cars. BTW, The Chrysler 300 Club International Inc. Say that Chrysler produced 485 300 Hurst's and more then a few others say 501 were produced and we will not talk about convertibles, real or Clones, and I have my very own Linda Vaughn Scrap book. Happy Trails, Jer

Thanks for the welcome Jer.

Our research found that 501 cars were built, 500 coupes and the lone convertible that was used by Linda as her track car.

Do you have a copy of the book? If you don't but would like to get a copy, let me know. I'm now down to my last 10 copies. In 2017, when CarTech took the book out of print, Mark and I bought all the remaining copies, 411 in all. First, we sold more than 100 copies at the one-time 2017 Carlisle Hurst Nationals, where they were co-signed by many of the ex-Hurst employees in attendance and the rest over the past three+ years.

Best wishes,

Richard Truesdell
Co-author, Hurst Equipped (2012)

No, I didn't know that. I thought that the car was displayed at the 2017 Hurst Carlisle Nationals but in reviewing my images, only a hardtop was displayed.

I'll reach out to @Fury Pursuit as it would be great to archive a few photos of his car.

No, I didn't know that. I thought that the car was displayed at the 2017 Hurst Carlisle Nationals but in reviewing my images, only a hardtop was displayed.

I'll reach out to @Fury Pursuit as it would be great to archive a few photos of his car.

The Convertible was at the 2016 Carlisle C body event. Not sure about any other time.

No book about Hurst would be complete without extensive coverage about George Hurst's personal Chrysler 300 Convertible:

Trev's 1 of 1 300 Hurst Convertible

Last edited:
When the Hurst Equipped was researched back in 2009-2010, we included what we knew of the car at the time.

Page_00135.jpg

They actually aren’t very unique, they made 500 of them that all look identical. The production numbers on every other color combo are probably far fewer when broken down...:poke::lol:

They actually aren’t very unique, they made 500 of them that all look identical. The production numbers on every other color combo are probably far fewer when broken down...:poke::lol:
Some had floor shift with consoles, others were ordered with tilt/tele. Thats if you really wanna break down the numbers to pin point any "unique" examples.

That's actually a valid point. I can't think of any other 'package' cars that were so much alike as the Hurst.

And 450 of them survived it seems!
corrected 4500 :rofl:

I have an old Hurst book from 1982 in which I read they built two verts but one was in a bad accident very early and went to the salvage yard.

Despite that there is a 300 Convertible converted with a 426 Hemi and Hurst parts (has a black vinyl interior though) from a dealer back in 1970.

Carsten

corrected 4500 :rofl:

I have an old Hurst book from 1982 in which I read they built two verts but one was in a bad accident very early and went to the salvage yard.

Despite that there is a 300 Convertible converted with a 426 Hemi and Hurst parts (has a black vinyl interior though) from a dealer back in 1970.

Carsten
Carsten. That convertible was converted at the Chrysler Dealership in Bristol Tennessee way back when. Both that car and the Linda Vaughn car were owned by the same 300 Int. Inc. member for many years named Steve M. Steve sold the Hemi Hurst "clone" in the late '80s - early '90s and kept the Linda Vaughn car 'til his passing a few years ago when his hairs decided they liked the $ more then the car(easier to divide too I'd think) The roomers of that 2nd Hurst Convertible you mention have been floating around for 50 years and have never been substantiated. Happy Trails, Jer

The attached article was saved when the mention on a Hemi in a Hurst 300H was first learned, because I thought it would've been the ultimate C Body during the fusie era. Wow!
If the possibility of dropping a 426 Hemi in a 70 Hurst 300H was an option when ordering the car was possible back in the day, even if it was done by the dealership, it would not have made any difference to someone with really deep pockets or for someone who wanted the most powerful engine.
If this car still exists, I am certain it would fetch a very high premium at any auction over just about any other C Body, but if it were mine, I'd never sell it.
Myth or no myth, the verdict may still be out. If it is real or a clone, I wouldn't care either way.
Hemi Hurst 300H 1.jpg
Hemi Hurst 300H 2.jpg

The attached article was saved when the mention on a Hemi in a Hurst 300H was first learned, because I thought it would've been the ultimate C Body during the fusie era. Wow!
If the possibility of dropping a 426 Hemi in a 70 Hurst 300H was an option when ordering the car was possible back in the day, even if it was done by the dealership, it would not have made any difference to someone with really deep pockets or for someone who wanted the most powerful engine.
If this car still exists, I am certain it would fetch a very high premium at any auction over just about any other C Body, but if it were mine, I'd never sell it.
Myth or no myth, the verdict may still be out. If it is real or a clone, I wouldn't care either way.

It would have been easy to snap a picture of the fender tag or VIN as proof of the claim.

Last edited:
It would have been easy to snap a picture of the fender tag or VIN as proof of the claim.
Myth or no myth, the verdict may still be out. If it is real or a clone, I wouldn't care either way.View attachment 430162 View attachment 430163
I found this forum while searching for information about a 1970 300H Hemi Convertible. That's how I found this interesting thread about it and read how some people wonder if it actually exists. Well, I'm 95% sure I found that car. The current owner inherited the car from his grandfather who bought it at auction from the Guy Reed Collection on June 4, 1995. It's been locked up ever since. It's in great shape and I just heard it run the other day. It's a beast!!

I found this forum while searching for information about a 1970 300H Hemi Convertible. That's how I found this interesting thread about it and read how some people wonder if it actually exists. Well, I'm 95% sure I found that car. The current owner inherited the car from his grandfather who bought it at auction from the Guy Reed Collection on June 4, 1995. It's been locked up ever since. It's in great shape and I just heard it run the other day. It's a beast!!
I'll let someone else fill you in on the history of the 1970 300H Hemi Convertible(s)
@Fury Pursuit

Alan

I'll let someone else fill you in on the history of the 1970 300H Hemi Convertible(s)
@Fury Pursuit

Alan
Hi Alan,

I should clarify, I know about the famous one of one factory car, the possibility that there was a second one wrecked by a Chrysler executive (which has not been verified), and the 3rd one which underwent a Hurst/Dealer conversion from the factory 440 to the 426 Hemi. I found the third one that's been debated for years from what I can tell.

Back