A noisy steering pump

ImpJay

The different young
Reaction score
The power steering pump makes a wheezing noise that starts after turning the steering wheel any bit to either direction. The noise is constant, so it makes no difference if the wheel is turned more off of the center position nor how far from the center it is.
The pump itself is misaligned in relation to the belt by about 1/10´´, but I think it can´t be the only reason. The 73 owner´s manual states that the fluid level should be 1 1/2-2`` below the top of the filler when cold, but the filler is not vertical, so I´m skeptical about the factory level being correct.

For those not knowing me enough yet, the patient is a 73 Imperial LeBaron with a 67 440.

Any food for thought is appreciated.

Fluid level? Ai for about the neck of the reservoir being 1/2 full when everything's all warmed up. PSFluid, as with other fluids, will expand when warm. When fully cold, aim for the bottom of the neck, where the neck crimps onto the base housing itself.

ALSO, use only approve PSFluid. NO automatic trans fluid at all. Chrysler and GM had specific power steering fluid back into the earlier 1960s. The service literature said it was "acceptable" to use atf as a "top-off", but if the system is continually topped-off due to a leak, you end up with a system full of atf, which is not good for the seals or rubber items. When I got my '67 Newport, the fluid in the ps pump reservoir had a red tint to it. The rubber on the pressure hose was seeping red fluid. I got that stuff out, flushed it with genuine GM psf a few times. Seeps stopped! No fluid leak/seep issues since.

I was using the GM fluid as I could get it at work, but it looked just like the genuine Chrysler fluid I'd bought from a Mopar Jobber, earlier-on.

Is your noise a wheeze or a hisssss? Physical pump belt alignment will not cause those things.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Is your noise a wheeze or a hisssss? Physical pump belt alignment will not cause those things.

It´s more like a wheeze. At least it sounds like I´ve to replace the red stuff with the correct PS fluid.:thankyou:

ATF is evil in a PS system. Remove the pump and Drain it completely. Don’t skip this step. Install pump and fill it. Remove the return line from the box. Install a long hose to the steering box and into a waste oil can. Disable the ignition and crank the engine to flush the steering box. Refill the pump several times, it won’t go totally empty.
Install the short return line from box to pump and go for a ride. Tell us how it works.
Do not start the engine with the return line off, it will spray fluid everywhere.

If this car had ATF in the power steering for any length of time, you should also replace the high pressure line. ATF will soften the inner liner of the hose and cause it to seperate from the hose body. If there is a partial blockage of the high pressure line, that can also cause the pump to be noisy because of the restriction.

Dave

Best to pump purge the system. run the return line into a bucket from the PS gearbox. Buy a gallon of PS fluid. Pump the old crap out and discard. Refill. Watch the color of the refilled fluid as it too is drained. when there is NO discoloration, run with it. such were the instructgions I got w my gearbox last TurkeyDay. I scrupulously followed them, and have excellent performance from my old Federal pump on the rebuilt gearbox I got from PartsGeek. I replaced the high pressure line, just because....

I feel myself a bit dumb now. After rechecking the PS fluid and adding some the continuous wheezing stopped.:BangHead:

There is still something improper to it. The pump makes a hissing sound every now and then. Could that be a symptom of air in the system?

Best to pump purge the system. run the return line into a bucket from the PS gearbox. Buy a gallon of PS fluid. Pump the old crap out and discard. Refill. Watch the color of the refilled fluid as it too is drained. when there is NO discoloration, run with it. such were the instructgions I got w my gearbox last TurkeyDay. I scrupulously followed them, and have excellent performance from my old Federal pump on the rebuilt gearbox I got from PartsGeek. I replaced the high pressure line, just because....
Hello, Gerald,
Which fluid did you buy to flush and which fluid, if different, did you buy to use?
Thank you!

Best to get rid of that POS pump and put a Saginaw on there. Originality is gone so why suffer with that pump. Buchllion has the brackets and the pump. No need to put up with that lousy pump. If it already has a Saginaw on it just go get another, they are cheap and plentiful.

Back