A Premium Car Worthy of When America Was Truly Great - And Now Available

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
When well respected President Eisenhower* was in office, people treated each other much better and politics made sense, a car worthy of the times, 392 Hemi and all:

https://russoandsteele.com/vehicle-details/?show_vehicle=169554&curr...

I believe I enjoy my older cars a great deal partly because they remind me of when America was so different than it is today - people were kind, thoughtful, considerate, respectful and hard working. Hate wasn't the norm and everyone generally looked out for and took care of each other, by and large because God mattered more than money I believe.................

59823d9ce286a.jpg

59823dfcecbf0.jpg

59823dff053b6.jpg

59823e4314f1a.jpg

59823e4199082.jpg

59823f3689255.jpg

From Wikipedia:
The presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower began on January 20, 1953 at noon Eastern Standard Time, when he was inaugurated as the 34th President of the United States, and ended on January 20, 1961. Eisenhower, a Republican, took office as president following a landslide win over Democrat Adlai Stevenson in the 1952 presidential election. This victory upended the New Deal Coalition that had kept the presidency in the hands of the Democratic Party for 20 years. Four years later, in the 1956 presidential election, he defeated Stevenson in a landslide again, winning a second term in office. He was succeeded in office by Democrat John F. Kennedy after the 1960 election.

A self-described "progressive conservative",[1] Eisenhower was able to secure several victories in Congress, even though Democrats held the majority in both the House and the Senate during all but the first two years of his presidency. Eisenhower continued New Deal programs and expanded Social Security. He also spurred development of the Interstate Highway System in 1956, and after the Soviet Union launched Sputnik in 1957, the establishment of NASA, with a distinctly civilian (rather than military) mandate. In the Suez Crisis, Eisenhower convinced Britain and France to end their occupation of the Suez Canal. Eisenhower signed the first significant civil rights bills of the 20th century, and he sent federal troops to Arkansas to enforce a court ruling mandating school desegregation.

Six months into his first term, the U.S. agreed to an armistice that ended the Korean War. Yet even though at peace, defense spending remained high, as the administration made vigorous efforts to contain the Soviet Union during the Cold War. He authorized covert Central Intelligence Agency actions to overthrow unfriendly governments or protect reliable anti-Communist ones, and he implemented a national security policy that relied on strategic nuclear weapons to deter potential threats, both conventional and nuclear, from Warsaw Pactnations.

Eisenhower was the first U.S. president to be constitutionally limited to two terms under the 22nd Amendment. Voted Gallup's most admired man twelve times, he achieved widespread popular esteem both in and out of office.[2] Since the late 20th century, consensus among Western scholars has consistently held Eisenhower as one of the greatest U.S. Presidents.

Last edited:
You realize the standard reply to anything being better _______ (insert year) ago is: "not for the __________ (insert group)", so while I am sure it was sort of a swipe at Trump, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic?

...and if you're searching for an era where God mattered more than money, you'll at least need to go back further than Judas.

You realize the standard reply to anything being better _______ (insert year) ago is: "not for the __________ (insert group)", so while I am sure it was sort of a swipe at Trump, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic?

...and if you're searching for an era where God mattered more than money, you'll at least need to go back further than Judas.

OK, fair enough Carmine. I was just trying to be factual as to how I feel about how our society has evolved from what it was when I was growing up (I am 70 now, not middle aged like you). This really was nothing aimed specifically at Trump (by the way, I actually really liked his clarifying remarks this morning on Charlottesville- they seemed very presidential and I very much respected what he said, as I would not have expected what he said to come from him, so a big + for him in my book, and it gives me much more hope in him to hear him say those words - edit: subsequent comments by Trump on Tuesday pretty much cancelled out my initial hopefulness unfortunately), but was just lamenting how our society has evolved from one that was much more spiritually focused back in the 50 and 60s than what it has evolved into now, where money and self pride seem to have become much more important to people than the spiritual side, and that I believe we have suffered greatly for it. I realize that many just think about themselves and status and entertainment, but I believe that leads to an empty and an unsatisfying life of problems. For me at least, I find the Lord the primary reason for my inner contentment, and believe we were made in his image to fellowship with him our whole lives and reflect him in all that we do (and I am well aware that I often fall short!). Anything else is just empty to me. I love my cars, but the Lord comes first. And how I treat others matters to me a great deal. I will leave it there, and do not want to start a discussion about what I believe and have concluded after 70 wonderful years with no regrets and a lot to be gateful for. But thank you for your clarifying question.
Steve

Last edited:
Great looking car. Thanks for posting. It's funny how religion finds it way into these threads. That's OK but I won't bite since Rags said it all.

OK, fair enough Carmine. I was just trying to be factual as to how I feel about how our society has evolved from what it was when I was growing up (I am 70 now, not middle aged like you). This really was nothing aimed specifically at Trump (by the way, I actually really liked his clarifying remarks this morning on Charlottesville- they seemed very presidential and I very much respected what he said, as I would not have expected what he said to come from him, so a big + for him in my book, and it gives me much more hope in him to hear him say those words), but was just lamenting how our society has evolved from one that was much more spiritually focused back in the 50 and 60s than what it has evolved into now, where money and self pride seem to have become much more important to people than the spiritual side, and that I believe we have suffered greatly for it. I realize that many just think about themselves and status and entertainment, but I believe that leads to an empty and an unsatisfying life of problems. For me at least, I find the Lord the primary reason for my inner contentment, and believe we were made in his image to fellowship with him our whole lives and reflect him in all that we do (and I am well aware that I often fall short!). Anything else is just empty to me. I love my cars, but the Lord comes first. And how I treat others matters to me a great deal. I will leave it there, and do not want to start a discussion about what I believe and have concluded after 70 wonderful years with no regrets and a lot to be gateful for. But thank you for your clarifying question.
Steve

Steve,

I don't really disagree with anything you've written above. But I'll also add that "the government" increasingly sees itself as a replacement for God. Let's look at some some things trending since the beloved 50s/60s, but realistically within the last decade.

The Federal government will decide social mores; who may enter a locker room, the definition of marriage, etc. The Federal government will look after our physical and mental health. The Federal government will decide if you may defend your life against a stronger foe. The Federal government will literally preserve human existence by altering the climate.

If you should simply decide not to participate, e.g., "I don't want to create a gay wedding cake. I don't want to play the health lottery (insurance), I'm not interested in joining a database of weapons owners. I would like to utilize the resources of the land I own."; you risk your livelyhood, assets and ultimately your freedom.

For the non-religious, I'd like to note that's more earthly punishment than what God promises for disbelief. I would love to state my true feelings on "why" we (society) are being fed a diet of hate, greed, envy, etc. but I don't think it fits the context of this thread.

Steve,

I don't really disagree with anything you've written above. But I'll also add that "the government" increasingly sees itself as a replacement for God. Let's look at some some things trending since the beloved 50s/60s, but realistically within the last decade.

The Federal government will decide social mores; who may enter a locker room, the definition of marriage, etc. The Federal government will look after our physical and mental health. The Federal government will decide if you may defend your life against a stronger foe. The Federal government will literally preserve human existence by altering the climate.

If you should simply decide not to participate, e.g., "I don't want to create a gay wedding cake. I don't want to play the health lottery (insurance), I'm not interested in joining a database of weapons owners. I would like to utilize the resources of the land I own."; you risk your livelyhood, assets and ultimately your freedom.

For the non-religious, I'd like to note that's more earthly punishment than what God promises for disbelief. I would love to state my true feelings on "why" we (society) are being fed a diet of hate, greed, envy, etc. but I don't think it fits the context of this thread.

I agree with most all of what you have said. For me, it is simple: the laws/ways of man lead ultimately to failure/death, while the precepts of God lead to life - the first way will never supplant the second one. But it took me a while to get to that conclusion. I had to go my own way first, and learn the hard way. I used to think "believers" were just dumb, honestly.

But then things happened in my life, that I never expected, to cause me to examine what this world was really all about. Now, every day in this world just confirms my final convictions. But to each his own. Peace to all including Fratzog and rags. Not my intent to rile anyone up, just stating what has given me peace.:thumbsup: I personally will never try to "buttonhole" or "convert" anyone. That would be annoying to anyone and futile.

Kind of like sharing what I have done to make Autotemp II work in my cars. But if I was a reader coming across a post like this, if my Auto Temp worked or mine had no problem or if I didn't even have the system, I would just skip over it and move on. There are so many more to look at.

All the best!

Last edited:
I come here for the cars and camaraderie and this thread hasn't failed on either!:thumbsup:

I'm not hesitant to express a "faith in God" viewpoint, nor should that viewed as thinking less of those who don't share that view. The way I see it is that this is nothing different than what I'd send you in a private message. If someone else reads it and gets value from it; literally God Bless. If they don't find it worth reading, move along.

I will tell you that I was raised in a Catholic church-on-Sunday environment. I slacked off for many years, but never lost faith. Was later married in a Luthern church. When my daughter was born two years ago, I thought it important to "set an example" so my wife and I became more frequent attendees... which is to say we won't win a perfect attendance award, but are still well above 75%.

As a younger person I suppose my faith was more a type of muscle-memory-default. As I got older, I began to question "existence" and a belief in God now seems scientifically logical. Believe it or not, I did a lot of this thinking while roaring through the Arizona desert circa 1999-2003 driving some type of Chrysler prodcut on 3rd shift. (I was a proving grounds test driver.) I listened to hundreds of hours of Art Bell, books on tape, other forms of late-night-deep thinking, etc.

(Interesting aside to Art Bell... the Internet list him as everything from devout Catholic to religion-hater, and I don't know what to believe, but his value to me was the mental exercise)

...back on the subject: the simplest way for me to reason the existence of God is to imagine being alone on a beach and finding footprints washing away in the sand. I've been on the beach for an hour and I'm sure I haven't seen a single person. Is it most logical to explain this as admiting I am mistaken; someone must have been there. Or should I insist the footprints simply materialized at random? Now I must consider that the sum of the universe is far more complex than a pattern in the sand.

Of course there are other pieces of supporting evidence (dead sea scrolls, complex patterns in the bible that have only recently been found with the advent of computers, etc.) but mostly watching mankind turn away from God is also evidence in my eyes.

Those are my reasons. I don't think anyone should take more offense to them than the fact that I don't like body side molding on formal New Yorkers. While I have my opinion, I can never own every formal NY'er in the world, so it's fine with me that they exist with options I don't like... afterall, someone does and they enjoy them.

Hope that makes sense.

people can make arguments for all sorts of things. seems to me that God left us his physical, see this is Me, i was in fact here, calling card with the Shroud. just in case anybody should question His existence. no hemlock for you.

i've always been partial to the Shroud of Turin.

The shroud is fascinating, (and to my knowledge unexplained) but I try not to use it as "evidence". I'm afraid it would give it just a tinge of idolatry.

The significance of the scrolls:

One of the most important contributions of the Dead Sea Scrolls is the numerous Biblical manuscripts which have been discovered. Until those discoveries at Qumran, the oldest manuscripts of the Hebrew Scriptures were copies from the 9th and 10th centuries AD by a group of Jewish scribes called the Massoretes. Now we have manuscripts around a thousand years older than those. The amazing truth is that these manuscripts are almost identical! Here is a strong example of the tender care which the Jewish scribes down through the centuries took in an effort to accurately copy the sacred Scriptures. We can have confidence that our Old Testament Scriptures faithfully represent the words given to Moses,David and the prophets.

Also, I should have said "previously unnoticed literary styles and patterns" from different new testament authors in different time periods (this pointing to a divine inspiration).

OK, fair enough Carmine. This really was nothing aimed specifically at Trump (by the way, I actually really liked his clarifying remarks this morning on Charlottesville- they seemed very presidential and I very much respected what he said, as I would not have expected what he said to come from him, so a big + for him in my book, and it gives me much more hope in him to hear him say those words - edit: subsequent comments by Trump on Tuesday pretty much cancelled out my initial hopefulness unfortunately),

I see you corrected this after I read it earlier and was going to ignore but it bothered me too much. His little rant on Tuesday tried to portray what happened as a confrontation between the right and the left with him on the right. Of course, in reality in which he doesn't reside, it was a confrontation between a white supremacists and neo-nazis who believe in darkness and not American or her Constitution. They were opposed by those who believe the opposite. This wasn't the gray situation he was painting it but a truly black and white situation.

I happen to take extremely great offense with those people. My wife is an immigrant and not white, my son a mutt, and I am educated and outspoken. None of those are traits those groups like among others. As some of their web sites mention those are the people they want to see hanging from light posts as far as the eye can see. We fought against Nazis in WWII so to rid the world of them. A good cause However, I have always maintained that those groups could march peacefully as guaranteed by the Constitution. They had that right but they came armed which was their intention all along. They came with the Swastika which if you waved in front of my face, and being a direct threat against my life, you are going down. Now they plan rallies in Berkeley, San Francisco as prayer rallies this weekend and then another in Mt. View to protest Google. Prayer rally my *** as all know exactly why they picked those locations among others in the country.

I have found two ironies in all this. Trump once proclaimed he was going to be the great unifier for the country. It seems likely he is going in the opposite direction and will probably double down as is his trait. Historically we are looking at the worst President we have ever had which gives room to Harding, Grant and a few others. Second, God being involved with this subject. While having gone to Catholic school from K-12 I do not believe one bit of what they tried to teach me. Didn't make friends with that priest in 5th grade when I asked him for definite proof of a God. Nonetheless, others are free to believe and I understand the gist of what they believe especially after 13 years of Catholic school. Knowing what God is supposed to stand for I sure don't see any of God hanging around right now as it seems more towards Satan's side of the street given the hate recently exposed.

With that I bow out as I did in another forum where I took to task a poster who tried to justify the killing of that 32 year old woman claiming she was killed in the commission of a crime and therefore justified.

I got hopeful about finding another free thinker when I misread your first post. There's so few of us around.
i've always considered myself more the anarchist type, just with a strong faith in God and respect for elders and others in general. maybe i should have added huac, mccarthyism, red channels, george wallace, the development of thermonukes, birchers, jim crow. is that what you were looking for pagan ceasar?

His little rant on Tuesday tried to portray what happened as a confrontation between the right and the left with him on the right. Of course, in reality in which he doesn't reside, it was a confrontation between a white supremacists and neo-nazis who believe in darkness and not American or her Constitution. They were opposed by those who believe the opposite. This wasn't the gray situation he was painting it but a truly black and white situation.

I really hope we can keep this on an intellectual level, but I must ask this question... Are you saying this violence was between neo-nazi groups and white supremacists?

I really hope we can keep this on an intellectual level, but I must ask this question... Are you saying this violence was between neo-nazi groups and white supremacists?

Ano?

Those two are one in the same pretty much or do I misunderstand you?

Back