A question about fitting a 1406 Edelbrock to a Formal

imperialman

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing the Thermoquad on my 78 New Yorker with a 1406 Edelbrock.
With the Thermoquad on my workbench next to the 1406, I'm having a hard time seeing how the throttle and cruise control cables mount to the Edelbrock, even with the required Chrysler linkage adapter.
Does anyone have a underhood picture of their Formal retrofitted with an Edelbrock showing how the linkage is adapted?
IMG_0294.JPG

You can bolt a edlebrock carb to a tq intake without a adapter plate just takes some grinding.

Looks like a stock cast iron piece.

Great shots Stan. Thanks, I'm thinking of putting the 1406 on my '73 Imperial. I've already done it on my '67 and I like it a lot. Does anyone know if I'll need the adaptor/conversion plate for it? It's got a TQ on it right now. I'm not sure if it's a spread bore or square. The reason I'm changing it is because of usual hard starting and fuel flowing into the intake at shut down issue.

Great shots Stan. Thanks, I'm thinking of putting the 1406 on my '73 Imperial. I've already done it on my '67 and I like it a lot. Does anyone know if I'll need the adaptor/conversion plate for it? It's got a TQ on it right now. I'm not sure if it's a spread bore or square. The reason I'm changing it is because of usual hard starting and fuel flowing into the intake at shut down issue.

Kenny,

If you are putting a 1406 on a stock Mopar iron TQ manifold you should use adapter # 2696.

2696.jpg

If you are putting a 1406 on an Eddie Performer intake....use the plate adapter (# 2732) that comes in the manifold box.

2732.jpg

You will also need the Mopar linkage adapter # 1481.

1481.jpg

You can call the Edelbrock Tech Line Only: 800-416-8628 and they will tell you the same thing.

Tech Line Hours:
Monday-Thursday 7:00 am - 4:45 pm PST
Friday 7:00 am - 3:45 pm PST

I wish that this info would get sticky'd....

This is about the 10th time we published this info....I can't find a single previous thread.

The stock air cleaner will bolt on to the 1406 on a Formal. I don't know if it will fit on a Slab or a Fusie.

If you use an aftermarket air cleaner....you will need a 1/2" plastic Mr. Gasket spacer kit (sold at AAP and AZ for $9.99). Part # 6411G to clear the electric choke.

720-6411G.jpg

DSC01176.JPG

Back