A real factory Hurst 4 speed 1965 Polara???

rjanssen5

Reaction score
Is there anyway to determine the Hurst 4 speed in my 1965 Polara is from factory? VIN D7B59172093 Canadian car. 383 engine
I'm selling the car and the buyer wants proof. I know the history from new but have no data sheet etc....Is there anything on the car that would authenticate?

Is there anyway to determine the Hurst 4 speed in my 1965 Polara is from factory? VIN D7B59172093 Canadian car. 383 engine
I'm selling the car and the buyer wants proof. I know the history from new but have no data sheet etc....Is there anything on the car that would authenticate?

There should be a trans code on the metal data tag under the hood.

Will: Did the 65's have the Hurst or the Inland?

RJ: Is he concerned that it's a numbers matching 4 speed or that it was converted to a 4 speed.

The absolute proof if it was an original 4 speed car (data tag, aside) is to pull back the carpet and show him the tunnel hump.
I've yet to see anybody that can install a hump and make it look 101% exactly like the way the factory put them in.

Last edited:
Fender tag should readD1 or D2 for 3 speed, D3 for the 4 speed, and D5 for automatic. It also looks like the VIN you posted has one too many digits. '65 has only 10.

Last edited:
I saw a Canadian 65 Fury factory 4 speed with a small Hurst nameplate on the dash near the shifter. It was one that was being wrecked and I just missed out on it but have every reason to believe it was original. If the Fury had it in 65 the Polara most likely did too. That very car is what prompted me to build my 66 Hurst Fury 1

4-Speed Manual Transmission: The 4-speed manual transmission is fully synchronized in all forward gears, with a Hurst shifting linkage. The shift level is console mounted on the Monaco, and floor mounted on other models. With a very short throw, gear selection is fast and positive for the ultimate in spirited performance.

Rjanssen I just wanted to make sure you read this in saylor's link.

Why are you linking pics to your car to a For Sale site?
We need a pic of your tag.
Unless it's there...

That's only a link to the Edmunds home page. I'm not going to search through 1,417,273 listings, give my zip code, wade through a hundred pop-ups, stand on my head...

< Sent from my tablet >

Back