A real factory Hurst 4 speed 1965 Polara???

That's only a link to the Edmunds home page. I'm not going to search through 1,417,273 listings, give my zip code, wade through a hundred pop-ups, stand on my head...

< Sent from my tablet >

Click link its a gm dealer, click on used vehicles and scroll to the bottom.

Glad the car was found on the website. I am associated with a GM store and selling the Dodge which I have owned for twelve years the previous owner had it 30 years and is a friend of mine. He bought it from the original owner in 72. Ordered locally and has always been in our town, never winter driven. But still having trouble authenticating the 4 speed to skeptical buyers.
VIN D7B59172093
MODEL A-D2 M-23
BODY# 1298
PAINT CODE EE
TRIM CODE M1B
Engine stamping AV-HP 9586C
Thanks for any insight

You need to look at the actual fender tag located either on the left inner fender or on the firewall above the brake booster and looks like this

ml-osterling65fendertag.jpg

If the number under the "D" is 3, then it is original. Here is a link to the decoding of the 65 tag

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-osterling65fendertag.html

Does this mean
D=2 3-speed heavy duty then?

e9ygly.jpg

But like I said earlier. Pull back the carpet and show us the hump. That will be the proof.

Last edited:
I just can't locate the tag your talking about. The tag in the photos is what is on the fender and nothing is on the fire wall, no holes either showing where it might have been. The fire wall/inner fenders have never been painted. I've looked all over the car.

Missing tags? No wonder potential buyers are leery.
Put it on the lift and let's examine the tunnel hump and the rear end.
Will: Didn't the true factory four speed cars have a Dana fifty-sumthin rear end??

And guess what...
That plate is not a factory plate. It's a generic replacement (or dare I even say "fake"?) plate.

a3l0si.jpg

Last edited:
You thanked me too early. A buff over at Moparts cane up with the answer for me. Thank you Furyman.

That's a Windsor assembly plant tag.
I have a Canuk '65 Dodge Registry going...that car's on it.
It was at my shop a couple of years ago, nice shape, 4 gear, not winter driven but kinda spendy...
17K or so. It does have a correct VIN # on it.
I told the owner I'd go 7k but he declined.

54792d1273025084-decode-body-tag-1947-chrysler-sdc10753.jpg

Last edited:
Back