A sociopath goes for a job interview

I got a couple stories....

We were interviewing for a sales manager. This was a pro job, would pay well with perks, but lots of responsibility.

We interviewed this one guy... He started out OK, but he was a devotee of Zig Ziegler and Tony Robbins. Started telling us about going to all the seminars and such and apparently had been on a first name basis with Ziegler. This wasn't impressing us and he pushed on...

So, I'm not a Tony Robbins fan (Look him up if you have to). Robbins has this "technique" of starting to swear, dropping "F bombs" and the like, to get people's attention. Well, this guy pulled this trick out... and started cussing up a storm. First I thought it just slipped out, but he really started pouring it on.

Now, I'm no prude... LOL... and quite frankly, having spent a lot of time working in machine shops, I can weave a pretty good tapestry of foul language when appropriate. A job interview is not the place though... Then, given our customer base was a lot of QC people that are quite often kind of on the prudish side, the kinda people that you tend to watch your language around.. Not that they never heard it, just that they appreciated not hearing it too. Of course, we had just the opposite too... Like the guy that got caught with the hooker, but I digress.

So... Having a guy swearing his face off in a freaking job interview just told us he wasn't the one to hire.

Another woman showed up for the same job... Very nice, very sweet lady. English was her second language, but that was OK. Her entire sales experience was that she had made menus for her sister's restaurant in Puerto Rico.... WTF? We had a HR person from an agency that we had contracted with and she sat in on the interview... and the only reason the interview lasted as long as it did was because we were nice guys and didn't want to just kick her out... The HR person actually said "Should we make an offer?" after she left.

I burst out laughing... I actually suggested we can one of our other employees and hire her to work in the front office. That idea actually got thought about, but we decided that she was overqualified but she'd probably be great in the right job... It wasn't as a sales manager though.

I got a couple from the other side of the table I'll tell in the next post.

Now on the other side...

In early '93 I was laid off from my job as a Tool & Diemaker. I had worked there a long time and my boss fought hard to keep me, but I was in the wrong place at the wrong time making too much money. So... They had to give me 20 weeks pay for severance and I was out the door... Called a friend (Actually the guy that used to own my 300) and he got me a temp job at GE and I was working there a couple days later and collecting those severance checks with health insurance from the old job. I was set for a little while, but it was a temp job, so I went looking.

First job interview was scheduled with a local place that made helicopter parts. Kind of a nice place, and it sounded OK, but I didn't think the pay was going to be there.

I got there... Dressed nice, had a nice sport coat with dress pants. I sat there and waited and waited and waited.... Almost an hour. I've since found out that some places use that tactic as a measure of patience and character. This very attractive young lady, dressed totally inappropriate for work in a black dress that was both too short and too low kept walking by. I knew enough not to pay too much attention, if you know what I mean.

Then on her walk by, she stops and asks me into her office. Turns out she was in HR and was going to conduct part of the interview. (OK John, just look at her eyes). That goes well and she takes me down to the shop and I talk to the manager. That goes well. He brings this crusty old guy out that looks me up and down and says "when is the last time you actually touched a machine and made some chips?" or something like that. I told him I was laid off 2 weeks ago, so the answer is 2 weeks ago. He kind of growled and handed me this complicated print and said "And just how would you make this?". A little bit of that crusty old guy look on his face. I looked at the print and he said "Take your time". Must have been something about how I was looking at it, and I said "yea, give me a minute to go through it". So... I started going through how I would make this part and handed the print back to him. He looked at it and said "It would be easier if you drilled a construction hole here first" and I took the print back and said "Oh yea, that would help", but then he said "but you nailed everything else and even figured out how to do it easier than the guys here make it". I was in...

Talked a little more... talked to the manager... Got an offer but the money wasn't quite right and honestly, they were looking for a really good machinist to do short run production and I would be bored with that after a couple days.

Got another one I'll do in the next post...

Another interview... The interview was good, but I just have to tell the story anyway.

Same timeframe.

Got a call from this place and they wanted to talk to me. The owner knew my Dad (who had passed away just a few months before this) and my brother had worked for him at another place.

I stopped after work, he even told me, "don't bother getting dressed for an interview" and it sounded like I had the job if I wanted it. So I get there and the place is a little more rundown than I thought, but OK... He wants to hire me. I say "I haven't even seen the place, can I look around?" and I thought that was really funny that I hadn't seen the shop.

So, it was with some reluctance he gets up and we walk over to the door to the shop... He opens it and to this day, I'll swear he took a burning torch of the cave wall as we walked down to see the "shop". There was the darkest, nastiest, oily, filthy, smelly machine shop I'd ever been in. There was a guy working there... and he just kind of appeared out of the darkness and then disappeared back into the darkness.

Turned that one down on the spot. They called and offered more money but no... just no...

Another story...

I really wanted this job... Big place, close to home. Medical stuff, locally (at the time) owned. You see their stuff everywhere, Welch Allyn.

So, I'm walking down this hallway with the HR guy and we come to a "Y" and he points to a new machine on the left of the Y and I thought that meant we were going left... Well... It wasn't... He was turning right.

At that time in my life I was 6'2, about 240 lbs and this guy was the 98 lb weakling from the Charles Atlas ads. I bowled him over like he wasn't there. he didn't see the humor in it at all...

The interview went downhill from there....

Back