A/T shift knob conversion for using threaded knobs?

James Romano

Reaction score
Anyone know of an adaptor? I'd like to put an 8 or 9 ball from a 4-Speed as my "shift" knob without altering or damaging the original bar.

I can't weld, or have no access to machining tools to make one. Seems like a simple adaptor to make from plate, or some crushed pipe maybe?

Thanks!

You could use a Duncan "Shift-R-Arm". I bought a Shift-R-Arm and Shift-R-Gate from someone here, new in box. Installed them both on my car. They are a bit under-engineered, but with some tweaking I got them both to work and I'm happy with them. I'll find some pics of it installed.....

With the shift-r-arm, you push down on the ball and the entire arm moves downward instead of pushing on a button.

Putting the ball on is simple enough, but how do you plan to handle the push button on the floor shifter?

It's a 65. All I do it move it left and then put in in gear. I think the 66 and up began to have the push button to unlock.

It has a notch in the shift bar for a set screw in the knob.

I had an old 8-ball 4 speed knob I modified to fit somewhat, it's just not right.

It's a 65. All I do it move it left and then put in in gear. I think the 66 and up began to have the push button to unlock.

It has a notch for a set screw in the knob.
Oh, you're asking about a '65. Sorry, the Shift-r-arm I was talking about is for 1966+ style console shifters.

My Fury is a 65, so I know what you are looking at. You need to put a flat blade in a round hole. You might be able to mount the end of a manual shifter (thread part for the ball) onto the end of the factory shift handle. Then, all you would need to do is screw the eight ball onto it. Or, you might be able to file some threads onto the end of the factory shift handle for the knob to screw onto.

Just a thought... Fill the hole in the ball with epoxy, cover the shifter arm with plastic wrap and push the ball over it.

Take the ball off, drill and tap a hole for a set screw, like the original ball had.

Back