A unique Town and County setup

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Came across this cool set up this morning.
FB_IMG_1611145071432.jpg

Little known fact that Chrysler was a mental health supporter back in the 60's.
It was a rare option to keep your life from going off the rails...:lol:

I like it. I bet my grandpa would have liked it too. He "rode the rails" a lot, and that wagon looks like it'd be a lot more comfortable than a freight car. :D

Must have been a railroad supervisor's car they upfitted with the "colt legs" to be able to ride the rails. Very cool and unique.

Here's another - pretty sure it's NOT the same car. I've seen a 3rd photo, but I can't find it on the internet... This one is unique from the first one posted in that it has no roof rack, no air deflector by the rear glass, and has door edge guards, a CB antenna, different plates, roof spotlight, factory full wheel covers for 14" wheels and a different pair of rear view mirrors.

I would swear that the one in the first post has the "shorty" roof rack mounted towards the front, when any other "shorties" I've ever seen are mounted at the rear of the car. Odd.
66 Wagon rail rider 1.jpg

They could be transports to take crews back and forth between the train and a hotel for long hauls.

I thought an owner of a rail company had one for his personal inspection car. We discussed it a year or two ago. That image was reversed from these two, the car was pointing to the left, close to an intersection.

It is quite fitting for those of you that have read about Walter P.'s life. The man made his early bones working in the railroad industry. He designed his own set of tools as well prior to making his way into the auto industry. A truly fascinating life and an American story if there ever was one.

qp7os9L8gLPw76CgcI8YWwUxC8h8D6yP10SPc-yrVIYlcoZaPyi6n8cTabgddYDXPicfYKP8NZtupcfDzevDoT703oaQMpYH.jpg

One of my neighbors from about 10-15 years ago was an accident inspector for BNSNF railroad. At one point I believe he had a Durango equipped like that. Would have to jump on the tracks to get to the sites. First wagon I have ever seen though.

Not a Mopar, but a Poncho wagon used by the Erie Mining Company. Modified in a town 20 miles west of me.

IMG_20180929_112117.jpg

IMG_20180929_112100.jpg

Last edited:
Back