For Sale A12

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
One of my past A12 cars, a Road Runner, has come up for sale. I did alright when I sold it in the late 90's, but not this good. Dosen't look like it will be coming back.
Not much has changed, and only 2K miles more on it.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/plymouth/road-runner/1926904.html?refer=alert
58736907-770-0@2X.jpg

And a build date of 426, how about that! Was it coded for the wheel opening moldings? Otherwise bare bones, no power steering or brakes.

Tell us about it.

Numbers?

Metal work?

History?

I bought it in 1985, my third A12 car, first with a four speed. Numbers matched. I had a A12 I bought new, (in Michigan), and I remembered seeing this car now and then in the downriver area of Detroit. Then it disappeared.
It's early years were as a drag car and it was stripped of its console and fitted with a hurst comp plus shifter.
It resurfaced at a show in upper Michigan in the early 80's, repainted and with a replacement right rear 1/4 panel. good job though. The owner had a body shop in the thumb area of Michigan and replaced the quarter due to damage from a light hit in front of the RR wheel.
I offered to buy but he wasent ready to sell. I chased it for three years and finally got the call, a deal was struck and I sold my A12 super Bee at an auction in Detroit. (Did good on that one).
I kept it for 12 years, Replaced the console and OEM shifter plus a bunch of correct detail items. took it to NC when I moved there in 95 and finally sold it to support a new business venture.
It went to a young guy in Ohio who said he would never sell. 45K on the clock when I sold it. He had the engine rebuilt, said it ran great. The wheels I had on it were 15 x 6.5 steel H wheels, but not the correct A12 wheels.
No rust in it then.
How it looked when I had it.
Alpine white 6BBL.JPG

Will ...Did you ever take any of your A12 cars on the 1/4 mile?

69 A12 new.JPG
And a build date of 426, how about that! Was it coded for the wheel opening moldings? Otherwise bare bones, no power steering or brakes.

All A12's carried build dates of 317 or 426. I remember because I ordered an A12 on 310 1969. Not in time for the first batch. It's build date was also 426 and it seemed like forever before I took delivery. In early March very few people knew about these cars let alone that they would be built in two batches. I ordered mine blind, no clue what it would look like, the salesman had no answers either.
Mine was on order for 4 weeks before I saw my first A12. It was offered to me at another dealership, but it was a green 4speed. I passed on it.

Will ...Did you ever take any of your A12 cars on the 1/4 mile?

Never did Bob. Funny thing. I intended to do some Super Stock racing with my 1st A12. But by the time I got it I was involved with a factory team, led by Wally Booth, racing a SS/E street hemi Super Bee. We were out racing somewhere almost every weekend the summer of 69. The A12 never got a modification of any kind, (except a set of Ansen Sprint slotted wheels). No time.
We did manage to get the street hemi into the 10:90's though.

Very nice car, I've got a question though. Pardon my ignorance to these cars but the fender tag indicates the engine is E63 = 383 4bbl but also M = 440 6. What is the story on that? Am I reading the fender tag wrong?

Very nice car, I've got a question though. Pardon my ignorance to these cars but the fender tag indicates the engine is E63 = 383 4bbl but also M = 440 6. What is the story on that? Am I reading the fender tag wrong?

Never be afraid to ask.....
The A12 cars were built on the line as 383 delete cars and sent to Creative Industries to complete the A12 conversion, much like the wing cars.
The "M" engine code actually referred to "Special order V8" and was assigned to all the A12 Road Runner 6bbl's, Super Bee six packs and to the 440 equipped Darts and Cuda's.
The engine code on the fender tag of Road Runners and Super Bees designates a 383 engine. The A12 code on the tag is the key. Some of the very early A12's had an "H", (383), in the VIN tag also but the A12 is what counts.

Last edited:

No. You're reading it right. A12 tags carry some of the 383 info and some A12 codes. The engines code as E63 925 and 926 but the axles code as 999. All but the very earliest cars have the A12 code on the tag. All have the specialty VON 94**** (RRs) and 92**** (SBs).

The early cars carry a 329 SPD. The early VINs would be consistent with cars built about March 11th. The 426 SPD shows up with VINS consistent to cars with an SPD of 423 and last until the last A12s were produced in July.

FWIW.... comparing the VIN to body sequence number....this car has a spread of about 7,000 meaning it got hung up somewhere in production. The VIN was assigned about a week before the car was cleared for construction.

Last edited:
Never did Bob. Funny thing. I intended to do some Super Stock racing with my 1st A12. But by the time I got it I was involved with a factory team, led by Wally Booth, racing a SS/E street hemi Super Bee. We were out racing somewhere almost every weekend the summer of 69. The A12 never got a modification of any kind, (except a set of Ansen Sprint slotted wheels). No time.
We did manage to get the street hemi into the 10:90's though.

I wish I was there with you Will!

I spent all my weekends from 69-76 at Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back