A518 conversion on a pushbutton 727

I suspect you might have more issues with the 518 clearing the existing trans hump than getting it to accept the pushbutton cable mechanism? Reason I say that is that I read, a while back, that some modification/enlargement to the trans hump on B-bodies were needed. Might be similar on the '64s?

What rear axle ratio in the '64? Multiply it by .7 (as a general rule) to get the resulting "in OD" effective axle ratio. Might need a rear axle ratio change to a deeper ratio so the OD can be used at normal highway speeds, FWIW.

CBODY67
Ona C Body, Not so. Worst case is a few small bends in the floor. I've done 2 516 conversions. The world famous Polaraco, which was the first 518 conversion done in the world according to Rick Ehrenberg. He had dozens of B Body guys looking for help. Sent to me. The hardest part is the trans mount. It has to be sturdy as the T Bars pivot on the member. The other is a 62 New Yorker. Again, a few small dents. Mount was a lot easier. I have developed an electric shift which works great! 6 years! You can use the original push buttons too. Right now, I have a problem with RF coming from the fuel injection. Working that out. I won't release it until I have that worked out.

I'm selling the design so I won't be producing it. I'm too old now. Like Stan. LOL

Just a couple of observations: (1) My '64 300K has a center console with the auto trans shifter, is this adaptable for you if you choose not use the push buttons?
I know you are trying to continue the dash mount system, but this is an alternative.
(2) Your picture of the bottom of your car doesn't show the connection of transmission to driveshaft, if like mine the output shaft is flanged and bolts to the trunnion style front end of the driveshaft. If you change transmissions you'll have to change to an appropriate driveshaft.
The 518 is longer than any 727, so a reworked driveshaft is mandatory regardless.

We thought about doing this to the father in laws 65 sport fury, but after looking at the cost, he decided to spend the cash on other upgrades

Ona C Body, Not so. Worst case is a few small bends in the floor. I've done 2 516 conversions. The world famous Polaraco, which was the first 518 conversion done in the world according to Rick Ehrenberg. He had dozens of B Body guys looking for help. Sent to me. The hardest part is the trans mount. It has to be sturdy as the T Bars pivot on the member. The other is a 62 New Yorker. Again, a few small dents. Mount was a lot easier. I have developed an electric shift which works great! 6 years! You can use the original push buttons too. Right now, I have a problem with RF coming from the fuel injection. Working that out. I won't release it until I have that worked out.

I'm selling the design so I won't be producing it. I'm too old now. Like Stan. LOL
Holy **** Steve you're still out there? Wow. I hadn't seen you anywhere for quite a while and here' I am researching a transmission build and bam. And too bad allpar let Moparfins die. Sorry 'bout that.

Oh as for the 518, I'd like to have it or an overdrive not for the cost savings in fuel, but less rotational wear on the engine per mile.

Back