AC Clutch Tool, 1973 Compressor

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Needed: Air conditioning clutch tool. The air conditioning compressor on my 1973 360 has a front bracket, with an indented bolt, where the bolt head is behind the air conditioning clutch. It is impossible, because of the shape of the bracket, to get a wrench or socket on this bolt head without removing the AC clutch. The factory shop manual says to use a spanner wrench while removing the center bolt. The spanner wrench would probably be Y-shaped, with three .25” diameter circular prongs, making an equilateral triangle. Distance center to center 2.375” on each side. I do not have this tool (or kit) and I am wondering where I could buy one. Search on ebay without success. (Miller 4563 is wrong tool, prongs too big)

Note, for anyone who has not worked on these before, the AC clutch is disengaged from the pulley, so tightening belts or pushing down on the belts does absolutely nothing to hold the clutch in position. Center bolt is ½ inch head and I need a way to remove it by holding the clutch stationary.

Thank you in advance for your help.
AC Clutch
Clutch.jpg

Bracket (front view)
Bracket1.jpg

Bracket (side view)
Bracket 2.jpg

Miller 4563
Right shape, but prongs too big
s-l1600.jpg

If you do not have the tool, the alternative method is to hot wire the blue wire from the clutch to the + terminal on the battery. This locks the clutch and that should allow you to get the bolt loose.

The redneck solution is to take a large pipe wrench and use it to grab the pulley. If you have room, an oil filter wrench will also work. Remove the belts. Then hot wire the blue lead from the clutch to the + lead on the battery, this locks the clutch and the pulley. While holding the pipe wrench, take a 1/2" offset box wrench to get the bolt loose. The clutch is mounted on a tapered shaft and once the bolt is partially out, a rap with a hammer and a block of wood on the back side of the clutch will free it. Leave the bolt partially unscrewed so that if the clutch assembly does not fall off and damage anything. If the compressor is locked up, you don't need to hot wire the clutch because you won't need the pipe wrench.

Dave

Last edited:
Needed: Air conditioning clutch tool. The air conditioning compressor on my 1973 360 has a front bracket, with an indented bolt, where the bolt head is behind the air conditioning clutch. It is impossible, because of the shape of the bracket, to get a wrench or socket on this bolt head without removing the AC clutch. The factory shop manual says to use a spanner wrench while removing the center bolt. The spanner wrench would probably be Y-shaped, with three .25” diameter circular prongs, making an equilateral triangle. Distance center to center 2.375” on each side. I do not have this tool (or kit) and I am wondering where I could buy one. Search on ebay without success. (Miller 4563 is wrong tool, prongs too big)

Note, for anyone who has not worked on these before, the AC clutch is disengaged from the pulley, so tightening belts or pushing down on the belts does absolutely nothing to hold the clutch in position. Center bolt is ½ inch head and I need a way to remove it by holding the clutch stationary.

Thank you in advance for your help.
AC Clutch
View attachment 459820
Bracket (front view)
View attachment 459821
Bracket (side view)
View attachment 459822
Miller 4563
Right shape, but prongs too big
View attachment 459825

This sure looks like a wanted thread . But this isn't a wanted forum. You need to start a wanted thread if you are looking for that clutch tool. Thanks

What is your goal with removing the bracket? If it is to just get access to the water pump housing/timing cover you might even get by without removing the clutch and remove the bracket and A/C pump as a whole. If I'm not mistaken the bolts you are talking about are the A/C mounting bolts and those thread into another bracket on the back side of the compressor and there is no actual thread in the compressor itself. Unbolt those brackets from the intake manifold and I believe the whole thing will come off.

What is your goal with removing the bracket? If it is to just get access to the water pump housing/timing cover you might even get by without removing the clutch and remove the bracket and A/C pump as a whole. If I'm not mistaken the bolts you are talking about are the A/C mounting bolts and those thread into another bracket on the back side of the compressor and there is no actual thread in the compressor itself. Unbolt those brackets from the intake manifold and I believe the whole thing will come off.
Access to water pump. AC system is charged.
I like Dave's ideas to hold it from turning, but if you want a universal tool this one comes in most clutch remover kits.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-6...t=&hvlocphy=9017046&hvtargid=pla-598037583764
Ordered the tool. thanks!

Can’t you do it the old fashioned way of removing the bolts that hold the brackets to the engine and lift up the entire compressor with brackets on it?

that’s how we always did them and it was no problem.

Can’t you do it the old fashioned way of removing the bolts that hold the brackets to the engine and lift up the entire compressor with brackets on it?

that’s how we always did them and it was no problem.
Thanks for the advice. Did you shove 2x4s under the compressor to keep the compressor out of the way?
Seems simpler to just R&R the clutch and leave the other brackets in place. Maybe I'm wrong, but from the look of the center bolt, it's been removed before.

You can use an engine hoist to lift it for you.

You can lift it up and move it rearward so it sits on the intake, the rubber lines will flex enough for that.

Snap-On A176. It's a very useful spanner for lots of "once in a lifetime" uses. I've had this one for 40 years.
IMG_7139.JPG

Once you remove the bolt, here's the easy way to remove the clutch. See highlighted text.

upload_2021-5-18_13-15-35.png

Last edited:
Hi Trace
Do you squeeze the levers together to make the prongs hold while you remove the bolt?
Thanks, Ben

In fact, you don't really squeeze the levers at all, except to grasp the tool. You simply adjust to fit the holes (choosing the shallow or deep prongs), and then hold the tool square to the face of the clutch (as you would do with any of these tools) and loosen the bolt. That bolt is only 20 ft-lbs, BTW, so you don't have to gorilla the spanner.

Oh, another thing: When you use a bolt to press the clutch off of the shaft as per the FSM, it only takes a very slight rotation at very low torque to pop the clutch off, so be ready for that heavy assembly to be loose and heading for your radiator. :mad:

JSYD0979.JPG

Last edited:
In fact, you don't really squeeze the levers at all, except to grasp the tool. You simply adjust to fit the holes (choosing the shallow or deep prongs), and then hold the tool square to the face of the clutch (as you would do with any of these tools) and loosen the bolt. That bolt is only 20 ft-lbs, BTW, so you don't have to gorilla the spanner.

Oh, another thing: When you use a bolt to press the clutch off of the shaft as per the FSM, it only takes a very slight rotation at very low torque to pop the clutch off, so be ready for that heavy assembly to be loose and heading for your radiator. :mad:

View attachment 460439
Thanks for the warning. Maybe have an assistant with a towel under it.

Another time it would be nice to have 3 hands.

Since you system is charged, if you turn on the ignition and push the button for the A/C, that will engage the clutch and lock the pulley on the belts. That will allow the removal of the bolt to free the clutch if you do not want to wait for the tool.

Dave

Since you system is charged, if you turn on the ignition and push the button for the A/C, that will engage the clutch and lock the pulley on the belts. That will allow the removal of the bolt to free the clutch if you do not want to wait for the tool.

Dave
The tool came today. Might not get a chance to use it until Saturday.

· Center bolt: 3-prong Powerbuilt tool, set up 2.375” equilateral. ½ short socket, 3/8 R. Loosen, but don’t remove, per @Davea Lux
PXL_20210521_205449012.jpg

Tools
PXL_20210521_210242658.jpg

· Pulley/Hub: 2x4 at Upper right, BFH.
· Center bolt and Pulley hub remove
Front
PXL_20210521_210644959.jpg

Rear: tapered shaft, keyed
PXL_20210521_210312487.jpg

· Clutch electromagnetic field, no moving parts. 3 fasteners, 5/16 long socket, 1 ext, ¼ R. 1 was machine screw, so someone lost a fastener
PXL_20210521_211328488.jpg

PXL_20210521_214018411.jpg

Clutch does not look so great
PXL_20210521_215323312.jpg

PXL_20210521_215341838.jpg

Tapered shaft, bracket bolts exposed
PXL_20210521_220743679.jpg

Thanks for all the tips

Be sure to check the pulley bearing. Your magnetic field has scuff marks from a failing bearing. Might have been in the past, but the damage looks fresh. Unit should spin freely, if it is bound up or "lumpy" on turning, replace the bearing. Tip, do not use a china crap bearing.

Dave

Be sure to check the pulley bearing. Your magnetic field has scuff marks from a failing bearing. Might have been in the past, but the damage looks fresh. Unit should spin freely, if it is bound up or "lumpy" on turning, replace the bearing. Tip, do not use a china crap bearing.

Dave
It spins freely by hand. Feels nice. I'll check again.

Dave
Do you know if a clutch from a 4 prong pulley/hub is the same?

Back