AC install begins...underhood

GBsPanhead

Reaction score
OK, been putting this off, but about time to start. HP manifolds are finally installed, still need to weld them up. OEM valve covers installed.

Gathered up a OEM 4 groove pulley, OEM 2 groove water pump pulley, OEM lower alternator bracket, BPE upper alternator bracket. Sanden compressor, BPE compressor bracket. I'll list everything I used when finally done.

Started with 4 groove, went on easy. No stuck bolts. The 2 groove is too big in diameter. Hits crank pulley. BPE has one that is smaller diameter. I can't find a part number on the 2 groove, so could be wrong pulley I got. Next was mocking up the BPE compressor bracket. Easy. Tough part I think was the alternator brackets. No real good photos on bracket install that I could find. BPE had one pic that helped. Took me awhile to figure out how the lower OEM bracket installed. I couldn't figure out how the one end of the bracket bolted to the block....bracket looked too long. Then I looked deeper by the fuel pump and saw a bolt going thru the block. Bingo! Mocked up alternator on new brackets, used a old belt that I cut so I could run along the pulley and check for alignment. All seems to align up straight.

Will be mounting compressor with fittings exiting to passenger side, not pointed up. I have a ton of different sizes and angles of connectors for AC hoses, so should be able to find a good fit.

I think I might me taking my heater hoses off. I had to remove those brass standpipes on thermostat area so I could get the BPE upper bracket installed. I thought for sure were going to distort and snap off in the block, but came out OK. I really don't need heat in SoCal. Still think about that one.

Need to order a 2 groove form BPE, Need to make some spacers for alternator bracket. Then hoses. Condenser installed, and still have to install dryer. Easy. I have a bulk head fitting for AC hoses to install. And relocate fuel line/filter EZPZ!!!

Some pics..

20190502_193300.jpg

20190502_193456.jpg

Using rubber hose for that line is also a bad idea. Just sayin.................

Guys, guys, guys! I will address these issues. This is how she came to me when I bought her last year. The fuel line was not routed like in the pic under the belt. That belt is cut so I could mock things up. Filter just happened to fall down into that position, and belt laid over the pulleys, making it look like hose was routed under and between belts. It was above and over the block. Will be corrected. Thanks!

Any leads on who makes/supplies a repop, or would have NOS on the thermostat housing/neck? Ebay has nothing I found worthwhile so far....

Where can you get the metal fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb ,or do you just bend it your self?

I got the from fuel pump to fuel filter at classic car industries. Granted it was for a 6-pac engine i didn't need the other half

Any leads on who makes/supplies a repop, or would have NOS on the thermostat housing/neck? Ebay has nothing I found worthwhile so far....

While I haven't tried one yet, and there may be other suppliers less expensive, Classic Industries claims to have a reproduction now that matches the OEM water neck including the original casting numbers. Part number MP6500. Priced at $44.99 so it is somewhat expensive.

I personally would prefer something even more robust than the Classic Industries offering (I didn't think much of the original Chrysler ones as they didn't hold up all that well either) but most of the other stuff available for mopar water neck applications out on the market currently is just junk - don't over tighten the bolts with those or they will warp - and it doesn't take much. Thin aluminum crap.

Maybe the "billet aluminum" ones at Summit are a good one as referenced above, and an even more expensive more robust looking one is available from them as well:

Billet Specialties Thermostat Housings 90820

But the seller's feedback isn't stellar either.................

But the best one of all might likely be this one on Ebay, although I do wish they had a non-chrome one available, and you can't beat the price:

SB BB Mopar Chrome Water Neck Thermostat 318 340 383 440 Housing Gasket Bolts | eBay

For a whopping $14.95 with "fast and free" delivery, it seems like the logical choice at present.....................and I like that it is claimed to be made of "high quality steel", not aluminum:

s-l1600.jpg

MOPAR CHROME WATER NECK

FITS ALL MOPAR V8

• CHROME STEEL BRAND NEW SMALL BLOCK / BIG BLOCK MOPAR (CHRYSLER, DODGE, PLYMOUTH) WATER NECK
  • FITS MOPAR 273 318 340 360 361 383 400 413 426W 440 ENGINES
  • COMES COMPLETE AS PICTURED WITH CHROME STEEL THERMOSTAT HOUSING, CHROME BOLTS AND GASKET FOR A PERFECT SEAL
  • MADE FROM EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY STEEL, BLACK FINISH IS EXTREMELY NICE
  • THIS WATER NECK FITS ALL SBM & BBM ENGINES
  • THANKS!

Last edited:
OK, been putting this off, but about time to start. HP manifolds are finally installed, still need to weld them up. OEM valve covers installed.

Will be mounting compressor with fittings exiting to passenger side, not pointed up. I have a ton of different sizes and angles of connectors for AC hoses, so should be able to find a good fit. QUOTE]

I'll be following your thread as I have just started an underhood conversion on my wagon. I found a set of side exit compressor hardlines with charge ports at Nostalgic AC Parts, they have them for either driver or passenger side. I ordered driver side, the PN was SD1610. They are in the back on this photo

OOPs lets try that again.
I'll be following your thread as I have just started an underhood conversion on my wagon. I found a set of side exit compressor hardlines with charge ports at Nostalgic AC Parts, they have them for either driver or passenger side. I ordered driver side, the PN was SD1610. They are in the back on this photo

DSCF5492.JPG

been watching these A/C threads. Has anyone purchased the complete underhood upgrade kit from Bouchon Performance in these swaps.

been watching these A/C threads. Has anyone purchased the complete underhood upgrade kit from Bouchon Performance in these swaps.

That's who I'm working with. Was on the phone earlier with Randy in tech support. They respond same day to emails, and most phone calls in my experience. Wasn't sure what length belts I now needed. He suggested getting the longest drive belt you can find like at a salvage yard, and use that to help determine approximate length needed. Can also use 3/8" rope, and run along pulleys.

I ordered a 2 groove water pump pulley and some alternator hardware, (spacers/bolts), from them today. My compressor brackets are from them, upper alternator bracket, and 2 grove pulley. 4 groove crank pulley, and lower alt bracket are OEM. Rest is from ebay like condenser, dryer. MarkIV is from ebay seller also.

I have their Saginaw power steering kit which replaced my factory setup. Randy was very helpful and the install went smooth. just wondering how the complete kit they sell worked would not mind paying a little more vs having to search for parts to make the changeover.

Back