Accessing spark plugs on driver side

Cags70PolaraConvert

Reaction score
It it any easier to access the plugs from underneath the car for the plugs? I have meat hooks for hands and other than the 1st and 3rd plug from the front these are a bear for me to get to. Thanks for the tips. Its a 383 fyi.

The driver side has the starter in the way from the bottom side. Ive always found it easier from the top . I don't have tubby fingers but I don't flex like I used to either.
Opinions may vary ...:lol:

It it any easier to access the plugs from underneath the car for the plugs? I have meat hooks for hands and other than the 1st and 3rd plug from the front these are a bear for me to get to. Thanks for the tips. Its a 383 fyi.

On a C body I think you're better off from on top since you don't have a lift. I don't recall much trouble with #5 but always had a great time with #7. :mad:

On an E body, no question underneath is the way to go.

Last edited:
My '62 300 with the 413 is accessible from the top, the 383 in the Newport is also accessible topside.

If you have a swivel head ratchet, and some different length extensions, you can do all 8 plugs from the top side. It is a tight fit on number 7, I stick the plug socket on the plug first and then use a socket on the hex for the plug socket.

Dave

#5 & 7 can also be accessed threw the fender apron if you remove the tire. Still a PITA. A section of rubber hose slipped over the plug will help.

Interesting to see the variations that work best for each of us when we are all going from A to B.:lol:

Here's the secret...

CMMT43324_1.jpg

You need to be using a spark plug socket that looks like this. See the hex on the end? Use a 3/4 (or 7/8 whatever it is) box wrench on it.

As above ( spark plug socket) and ball extensions. Best investment I ever made. I hardly use regular extensions and the U joint ones suck.
image.jpg

If you have a swivel head ratchet, and some different length extensions, you can do all 8 plugs from the top side. It is a tight fit on number 7, I stick the plug socket on the plug first and then use a socket on the hex for the plug socket.

Dave

That's been my SOP for decades. I can get all 8 plugs from above.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I pulled what I am guessing is #1 and #5. Oil dipstick is in the way for #3 and although I know I could remove #7 I was concerned about getting it back in so I didn't pull it. I guess I will let the pro look at it and I will stick with my accounting books and kitchen remodel. Thanks for the help.

Funny side story on spark plug R&R. I have a neighbor that’s an engineer (desk guy). He was changing plugs on a 2000 chev PU, and asked for my help, he was crying about how impossible, the job is, etc. I get over there and look, you can SEE ALL 8 plugs and wires, plenty of room. He’s just using a 17mm socket where a 5/8 needs to be, wrong length extension.
Got him lined out and took him 2 hours to do the job. WOW

Is this the thread where I throw out my Manhood and give you a, "When I was a boy..." story about changing sparkplugs with only a 15 minute cool down and a bucket of water? :lol:

Back