Advantage of See-Through Fuel Filters

Ghostultramarine

Reaction score
CB7D42C6-C9BB-4479-88CA-DD458B0D3B72.jpeg
Well, this could be a reason why I experienced surging on the highway...

The filter looked new. It was also doing its job! The fuel that dripped out after the filter was clear.

The new clear Wix filter from Napa (that’s made in Russia) shows clear fuel in the bottom of it.

I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

Looks like fuel tank crud. Good that you troubleshot (troubleshooted?) this problem and replaced the filter, but......

....I have a feeling there is lots more where that came from. Maybe time for a tank removal/cleaning/sealing/whatnot?

a man with a plan!

‘a man, a plan, a canal, panama’

so that actually has nothing to do with this thread, it’s just the longest palindrome I know and your note made me think of it. :)

@Ghostultramarine i have really been enjoying your posts of all your work. Keep it up my man. Seems like you are really breathing new life into the old car. Thank you!

Thank you. The goal is to have the car in the condition of a reliable daily driver.

There’s a bit to do. Besides the gas tank there’s rust in the trunk so when I drop the tank next week I’ll be sandblasting under there, patching the holes and undercoating the area above the tank.

Another advantage is when you are sitting on the side of the road and wondering why your car won't start. A quick look will tell you if there is gas getting to the carb. If so you can rule out a fuel supply problem and move on to other issues.

As far as the gunk goes. I had that get into the engine and seized all the intake valves on a new rebuild. Didn't find out until the engine had cooled off and the gunk turned to glue in the valve guides. Bent all intake pushrods trying to start it. Had to pull the heads and have a machine shop pound the valves out, knurl the new guides installed previously and reassemble them. An expensive learning experience. You probably should replace the fuel line too, it is over 50 years old.

IMHO, I'm not a fan of the plastic fuel filters when they are used in the engine compartment. Yea, it's great, you can see the gas... and yea, some guys have run them for years.

My big concern is that the plastic is vulnerable to fire. A small fire can become a big one in a hurry if the outside housing should melt.

I once read a comment from a vehicle fire investigator (paraphrased) "Plastic fuel filters keep me in business". That was profound enough for me to use metal filters from then on.

But, whatever you do, don't ever use one of these cheap "Mr. Gasket" of similar screw together filters. Known as "glass time bombs" for leakage and breakage without warning.
bad-filter-1-jpg.jpg

I have been running the plastic clear Fram G2 filters pre-fuel pump, and then a metal canister fuel filter between fuel pump and carb for years. And one of the benefits of this is your fuel pump will last a lot longer not having the crud and grit passing through it. ;)

IMHO, I'm not a fan of the plastic fuel filters when they are used in the engine compartment. Yea, it's great, you can see the gas... and yea, some guys have run them for years.

My big concern is that the plastic is vulnerable to fire. A small fire can become a big one in a hurry if the outside housing should melt.

I once read a comment from a vehicle fire investigator (paraphrased) "Plastic fuel filters keep me in business". That was profound enough for me to use metal filters from then on.

But, whatever you do, don't ever use one of these cheap "Mr. Gasket" of similar screw together filters. Known as "glass time bombs" for leakage and breakage without warning.
View attachment 469078

I’m guilty of using both types on older Mopars that I serviced often and was frequently under the hood. I’ll have to reconsider and may do as @thrashingcows suggests.

I liked the benefit of being able to clean out the glass one, which was handy after cleaning out a gas tank that had rust, threw water and rocks in it, sloshed around the rocks, drained and refilled until water came out clean, then clean filter til I didn’t need to.

Maybe someone makes a Pyrex or similar style that would be safer??

I use this Mann filter as a prefilter on the frame rail. Took me awhile to find a small relatively course free flowing filter (200 mesh) to act as my site glass. Its not completely clear but I can see brown. Of course you can get some of the nicer looking aluminum filters with cleanable screen but they are surprisingly long and I had a place in mins so...Some prices on these Mann filters are expensive but search enough and they are <$10.

Is there a simple way to drain the fuel tank, other than to remove it? I have a relatively new tank in my 64 Barracuda, but it picked up some crud sitting over the Winter.
Emptying the in-line filter showed crud. Probably same for my 71 Gran Coupe...

View attachment 469078
Regarding the Mr. Gasket fuel filters and fire. I experienced a similar issue with my Holley fuel regulator. Less than a year old, and it began to drip fuel onto the valve cover, then ran down the back of the cover and onto the hot exhaust manifold. The Holley regulator was deposited into the trash and the fuel line was returned to stock. Could have been road side BBQ if not caught in time. Watch very closely if you decide to use any after market, cheaply manufactured fuel components. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

Last edited:
Is there a simple way to drain the fuel tank, other than to remove it? I have a relatively new tank in my 64 Barracuda, but it picked up some crud sitting over the Winter.

The tank should have drain plugs on the bottom of it, but often times these may be covered by undercoating of some type.

The tank should have drain plugs on the bottom of it, but often times these may be covered by undercoating of some type.
What stock Chrysler gas tanks have you seen with a drain plug? Only one I’ve seen is a 60-62 Chrysler.

I drained mine by disconnecting the fuel line at the sending unit, installing a convenient length of fuel line hose and starting a siphon action with my vacuum pump. It worked well for me. Don't ignore the fire hazzard!! LC

Back